PADI DM for Naui class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An active/insured PADI DM can act as an assistant in a NAUI class. Do not have my S&P with me but it is allowed. I am a NAUI CD by the way.

Hmmm, will have to check standards on this, but that does not make sense. I am not sure but I would venture no, but am open minded. My reasoning is the hierarchy of PADI leadership vs. NAUI leadership. In NAUI DM comes after AI and has all rights and privileges of AI. In PADI DM comes first. I will have to dig out standards and verify.

There's a thead from a few years back that touches on who can assist whom for PADI and NAUI. (The thread itself is mostly about training requirements for leadership-level ratings in the two agencies.) One formerly active poster, Walter, wrote this:
Most agencies restrict assistants to those certified as assistants within that same agency. NAUI allows their instructors to use assistants certified through other agencies.

In regard to whether a PADI DM is of a sufficient ranking to assist in a NAUI course, the professional progression is as follows:
PADI: Divemaster -> Assistant Instructor -> Open Water Scuba Instructor -> Master Scuba Diver Trainer
NAUI: Assistant Instructor -> Divemaster -> Instructor
Therefore, if a NAUI AI is the rating equivalent to a PADI DM and NAUI (by definition) considers a NAUI AI a certified assistant, then the PADI DM rating is sufficient to assist in a NAUI course.

A PADI DM can assist with a NAUI class but not the other way around. It is black & white in both PADI & NAUI rule books.

A PADI DM can assist with a NAUI class but not the other way around. It is black & white in both PADI & NAUI rule books.

Pete, can you kindly point in the right direction for this in the NAUI S&P's? Just trying to learn.
Thanks

Look under the definition of a certified assistant.

It says that 'Leadership members of other training organizations with corresponding ratings also qualify.' To me that means that an AI with another agency can function as an AI with a NAUI class, but due to the Leadership order/hierarchy in PADI I would say a PADI DM cannot function as an AI in a NAUI class.

Back
Top Bottom