PADI Divemaster without Advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you get this absurdity? Divrs are told throughout all courses to dive within the limits of their experience and training. They are constantly advised to use good judgment when extending those limits. Heck, there is an entire section of the PADI trimix course about the importance of using good judgment in extending their limits beyond the scope of that course.
Who is telling divers these things?

Master Scuba Diver is not a course, it is recognition. The value of MSD has been debated ad nauseum on SB. I could not find the current cost on the PADI website, last I knew, it was $50 for verification of the prerequisites and the card. A MSD would have more training/experience than the minimum requirement for DM. You would have OW, AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties, and 50 dives. DM prerequisites are OW, Adventure Diver with Navigation or AOW, Rescue, and 40 dives
See above post #7 for the DM prereqs....AOW, not Adventure, and 60 dives for certification.

See above post #7 for the DM prereqs....AOW, not Adventure, and 60 dives for certification.
From the PADI website Divemaster | PADI Prerequisites for DM:

Age Requirement
18 years or older
Course Prerequisites
Rescue Diver, 40 logged dives, CPR and First Aid certification within 24 months, medical clearance to dive
Time Commitment
Approximately 50 hours

From the PADI website Rescue Diver | PADI Prerequisites for Rescue:
  • Prerequisites: Adventure Diver/Junior Adventure Diver (or qualifying certification) with completed Underwater Navigation Dive; EFR Primary and Secondary Care training (or qualifying training) within 24 months
  • Total time commitment: 4-7 days
  • Minimum age: 12 years or older
So, putting the two together, it looks like you can take the Divemaster course with OW, Adventure Diver with Navigation or AOW, Rescue, and 40 dives to start. The 60 dives for DM certification are not mentioned on the website page.

Is the PADI website incorrect?

Your mixing the the two. The attached is from the current instructor manual and one is a clip from the PADI general website. The pre-requisite for Rescue is Adventure Dive but not for Divemaster. Also the 60 dives are mentioned in the Instructors Manual, 40 to start and 60 to finish.

Attachments

• 2022 Instructor Manual.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 75
  • PADI website.JPG
    PADI website.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 39
Advanced isn't advanced! It should be called "Additional Open Water"

To become a DiveMaster one would expect considerable experience in all sorts of conditions and a demonstrable "mastery" of scuba diving. You can't gain that in 50 dives. It's often said that just because the card says DiveMaster it's no guarantee of excellence.

Your progression should be to go diving and build up enough experience -- with a drysuit -- to do the Rescue Diver course. IMHO Rescue is the best of the PADI recreational diving courses. It's a tough course especially if done in the UK sea.

Then go diving! There's thousands of wrecks to play on!
Yeah, we on SB know all that about "Advanced" and diving....Why do you and many others keep bringing up this age old topic? tursiops answered the OP's question. YES you need AOW to be a PADI DM. He is an expert on the regs but even I know that!

Your mixing the the two. The attached is from the current instructor manual and one is a clip from the PADI general website. The pre-requisite for Rescue is Adventure Dive but not for Divemaster. Also the 60 dives are mentioned in the Instructors Manual, 40 to start and 60 to finish.
You're.

The details are not clear on the website. Who really cares? I did my last PADI training in 2005.

The website is readily available to the general public, me. The instructor manual is only available to PADI professionals

You're.

The details are not clear on the website. Who really cares? I did my last PADI training in 2005.
My OW 2005 training manual has the details, which seem to be the same as now. It SAYS YOU NEED AOW TO BE A DM....(or take to take the DM course...). What are you guys talking about--- some big PADI changes since like 1990??? Oh for God's sake, take AWO if it helps you with your diving - or not...

This is just an amazing tempest in a teapot.

I have never seen anyone interested in getting the adventure diving certification, and I never expect to see one. The only reason I can think of for getting it is that the diver is underage and is unable to do the deep dive. Such a diver can do everything else and get the Adventure Diver certification. Why else would anyone get it?

See the above "How to Become an Advanced Open Water Diver", from the PADI website, to understand how this is not a waste of money. It allows you to TRY Drysuit, TRY Photography, TRY Search & Recovery, and TRY Wreck.
You might find that Drysuit diving is horrible for you. That Wreck stuff makes you uncomfortable. Great way to learn that without taking a Full course in that Specialty. It is like getting the Sampler Platter appetizer at the restaurant...a little bit of many things. How is that bad or a waste??

Fwiw, I hold active Instructor Credentials with both PADI & SDI
because little knowledge/ experience is gained, 4-5 dives 1-2 days and you’ve gotten your sample, wow! Is that enough for anyone to make a decision on wether something is for them or not? And, it can be done concurrently with OW.

You should just take the course, instead of the “sample” course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom