PADI Courses In Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilulfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are thinking of taking the PADI Rescue Diver Course in Bonaire this winter. Can anyone suggest a dive operation that has a good reputation as far as instruction is concerned? Any particular instructors we should request? Cost is secondary.

Another question related to this: I've been getting mixed messages as far as doing a referral on this course. We were thinking of doing the classwork before going not to waste dive time in Bonaire. Some shops I contacted here in NJ told me that one can't do a referral with this course. Others have told me the opposite. It's quite confusing. We don't necessarily want to do this if it's going to diminish the quality of the course, but I am trying to find out if it's even a possibility so that we can decide what to do.

the books and reading materials are fine but the real learning and skills training will come with the dives.
And you are wise in thinking of doing the class work before you go, why waste good Bonaire dive time?

I've just come back from Bonaire 2 weeks ago, and although I didn't take any diving lessons, I did dive with some very competent people - who are also instructors. From Bonaire Dive and Adventure (Bonaire Dive and Adventure and Bonaire Dive and Adventure - Staff) I recommend Benji Schaub, who is also a GUE instructor, and German Arango, who not only is an excellent diver but also very funny and a cool dude.

If you're willing to bring along an instructor, I'll be happy to provide a very in-depth and exciting Rescue Diver course :D

My wife and I are thinking of taking the PADI Rescue Diver Course in Bonaire this winter. Can anyone suggest a dive operation that has a good reputation as far as instruction is concerned? Any particular instructors we should request? Cost is secondary.

Another question related to this: I've been getting mixed messages as far as doing a referral on this course. We were thinking of doing the classwork before going not to waste dive time in Bonaire. Some shops I contacted here in NJ told me that one can't do a referral with this course. Others have told me the opposite. It's quite confusing. We don't necessarily want to do this if it's going to diminish the quality of the course, but I am trying to find out if it's even a possibility so that we can decide what to do.

You know, Rescue is one of those classes that really can't be done as a referral. The reason is that the skills and evaluations done by the instructor, the practice in the pool and then translating it into "real life" open water situations are not something you can start with one instructor and finish with another. Rescue class is very much a "performance" evaluation not just tests. I would just contact a dive center in Bonaire and talk to them.

Buddy Dive is a PADI resort and can do the cert but rescue is an intensive class and really best done at home. If it were me, I would hold off the rescue until next summer at home and spend my time on Bonaire diving.

Thank you all for the insightful replies. During the past month, I contacted a few dive shops in Bonaire. I sent two emails to Buddy Dive, they never replied. Captain Don's Habitat said they would do a referral. Dive Friend's won't do a referral. Carib Inn said we can study at home and if we pass the test when we get there we won't have to do the classwork. Bonaire Dive Adventure has yet to reply. As you can see, there seems to be no uniformity in terms of policies.

I recall one dive shop here in NJ telling me that, supposedly, all PADI courses can be referred and shops that won't do that are contravening PADI policies in this regard.

Herman,

I wish we could do the course at home but my wife will not dive in cold water so that's out of the question. So far, all our certifications have been done in the Caribbean except for the Nitrox class simply because our dive shop does not require certification dives for that class.

I recall one dive shop here in NJ telling me that, supposedly, all PADI courses can be referred and shops that won't do that are contravening PADI policies in this regard.

Dude, I hate to burst your bubble but ALL scuba instructors are independent contractors and PADI or any other certifying agency does not pay them, they have to pay to be instructors. All instructors can refuse to teach ANY student they want for any reason, they are independent contractors! Yes, when they teach and give you a cert card it has to be according to that agencies requirements for that cert card, but NO instructor must teach anyone.

robint (wife of an instructor)

Back
Top Bottom