PADI Certification too quick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Poodles - I'm sorry you're upset, but I still stand by my statement.

I believe there are serious deficiencies in your gear configuration, but on the other hand - it's not all about gear configuration. Are you planning on seeking your instructor status anytime now? You openly admit that you are not. Which says to me you recognize the value in learning.

Now - to this gear configuration issue - every point I have made there is well debated even here on Scubaboard. Do a search on "split fins" or "ankle weights." While you're at it, simply curious - do you also carry a spare air? :)
[/I]

Boogie - to each his own!

She wasn't asking advice on her gear config, as I recall.

As well respected caver once said, "What works, works!"

If luvspoodles at some time in the future decides she doesn't need the ankle weights or split fins (for example) she'll decide that on her own. She certainly doesn't need anyone who dives differently, "preaching" at her.

It's that sort of blatant intolerance that gives certain groups of divers a very bad name.

I dislike ankle weights and split fins myself - but that doesn't mean I'll refuse to dive with someone who wears them "just because". A diver has to show himself to be unsafe or decidedly clueless before I'll "find better things to do."

luvspoodles:
Why do you sound so harsh? I just started diving over a year ago and have quickly discovered that I have a passion for this, and am constantly learning about diving-I read anything I can get my hands on. When reading your post I realized that I wear split fins, I have to wear ankle weights in the cold California water (not when I'm in the Carribean), and I have to wear 30 pounds of lead in my BC (with my 7 mil farmer john). This is the first sport I've ever done, and I am so proud of myself. The way that you said what you said made me feel like a total dork. It seems like I encounter these attitutes a lot being a women diver,especially in the cold water. I am mostly all of the things that you said, however I certainly know that I still have so much to learn, and do not plan on becoming a DM because of this. Try not to be so harsh on us newbies!

If I can give some advice, it would be not to worry about what other people think.

The gear you wear matters only in terms of how well it functions for the type of diving you do ... and that's going to vary with the individual.

What matters far more is that you recognize the need to continue learning, and that you apply what you learn to each and every dive you do. Practicing OOA and mask skills, making sure you can deploy your safety gear, developing the confidence to take care of small problems before they develop into large problems ... those are the important issues that any new divers should stay focused on.

Split fins are fine for some people. They are limiting for certain types of diving, but if you don't feel the need to fine-tune your maneuvering ability, or learn how to reverse-kick, they will serve you well. The need for ankle weights typically indicates that you need to work on your trim techniques ... but if you recognize that and work on practicing horizontal hovers, eventually you will discover that you don't need them. That takes time and practice ... so take your time, and practice. Soon you will be able to leave them on shore. Weight ... you need what you need. Simple as that. As you become more experienced, learning proper breathing and buoyancy control techniques will help you need less. Don't worry about what other people tell you ... use what you need to conduct your dive safely. Do weight checks regularly, and see if you can reduce your weights in small increments. If not, don't worry about it ... as long as you're not carrying more than you need, you're OK.

Gear isn't what diving is all about. It's about attitude. One of the best dive magazines out there has it stated best on their front cover ... A Good Diver Is Always Learning. Maintain an attitude that engenders learning something from every dive, and you will become a good diver ... regardless of the gear you are wearing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Boogie711:
Larissa - stop for a second and put it in context. She's reacting to a statement I wrote to no one in particular, well over a month ago. No one is preaching at anyone.
Heh, you're right of course Boogie, I didn't look at the thread date, as usual

:1poke: :toilet:

Xanthro:
More divers, even if they do not stay with the sport, enhance diving for the following reasons.

1) More divers means more people purchasing equipment, which drives down equipment prices, which means divers can afford to buy BETTER and safer equipment.
Vested economic interest.Like I said....

Xanthro:
2) More divers mean more people are familiar with the sport, and are thus more likely to support pro-diving positions when it comes to laws and regulations.

More divers also put it on the legislative radar screen, making onerous regulation more likely.

Xanthro:
3) More divers mean more support for dives in various locations, which means greater variety of safer diving locations.

In 20 years of diving, I haven't seen a marked increase in the locations, just a cost reduction for existing ones.
Again, vested economic interest.

Xanthro:
4) More divers mean the general public is more likely to know a diver, which helps the image of diving.

5) Recreational divers, even new inexperience divers, help with diving’s general image, so divers are not seen as wannbe SEALS, or worse underwater militiamen.

Not a tangible benefit. If you're worried about image, go date a supermodel.

Xanthro:
6) Recreational divers, even new inexperience divers, help introduce the general public to the wonders of underwater life, and hence the public is more willing to support legislation protecting the underwater environment, without harming diving.

Not really. It just brings more people to the reefs, and more of them with no skills and likely to destroy it. Tourists are destroying Yellowstone by their sheer numbers.
More people always spoil things. The exposure you cite only inspires the average person to view such resources more as disposable commodities that exist for their personal gratification.

Xanthro:
It seems that the basic argument for more stringent training is that many experience divers either;

A) Resent that they had to go through tougher training.
B) Resent newer divers less proficient divers being around.

In 20 years diving, have yet to meet anyone for whom A is true. What's wrong with resenting incompetence?

Xanthro:
Sure, watching someone without decent buoyancy control isn’t pretty, but it’s not life threatening to you either.

It is to the reef.
[/QUOTE]

northwind:
I am curious to hear oter peoples experiences from that era, was this type of training closer to the norm at the time, or was my instructor just a loose cannon? If this is what every prospective diver would have to go through, I don't imagine that our sport would grow very rapidly.

He was at the extreme old school end of the spectrum.
While I can't fault his approach, he exceeded what I think is necessary in some ways, and what I think is prudent in others (memorizing the tables is bad - you might be tempted to rely on that memory long after it's reliable.)

alemaozinho:
you propably speak of your past experience when you learned how to dive aye?You put everyone in the same pocket,thats wrong!You have to crawl before walking and you surely forgot the time when you where crawling! : Peace

No, he did all his crawling in the pool before he got certified.

luvspoodles:
Why do you sound so harsh? I just started diving over a year ago and have quickly discovered that I have a passion for this, and am constantly learning about diving-I read anything I can get my hands on. When reading your post I realized that I wear split fins, I have to wear ankle weights in the cold California water (not when I'm in the Carribean), and I have to wear 30 pounds of lead in my BC (with my 7 mil farmer john).

This is not good or necessary. Find someone local and experienced who realizes that, and ask them to help you get rid of all the extra lead.

luvspoodles:
This is the first sport I've ever done, and I am so proud of myself. The way that you said what you said made me feel like a total dork.

And did that feeling kill you? No, but many people have been killed in diving by not feeling that way when they should have. Wouldn't you rather tend toward the course that can't kill you, even if it's not accurate? Lay your feelings aside and figure out what he meant, and what you can learn from what he said.

luvspoodles:
It seems like I encounter these attitutes a lot being a women diver,especially in the cold water. I am mostly all of the things that you said, however I certainly know that I still have so much to learn, and do not plan on becoming a DM because of this.

Good, so learn it. Learn why the traits he described are not good, and how to rid yourself of any that apply.

There are two responses - you can get upset, or you can grow. Why not PM him and tell him you're concerned that what he said might apply to you, and ask him for positive advice to put his admonitions into practice. He'll either offer you sincere help, or be completely embarassed, which means you'll either improve your diving, or at least assuage your bad feelings.

FreeFloat:
Boogie - to each his own!

She wasn't asking advice on her gear config, as I recall.

And he wasn't giving any. She questioned what he said about some gear, and he responded with clear instructions for learning more about the basis for his comments, in a way that wil steer her to BOTH sides of the issue.

NWGratefulDiver:
If I can give some advice, it would be not to worry about what other people think.

Bad advice until you know WHY they think it.

Good advice: You've obviously stumbled upon a controversy.
Go and research the issues involved, looking at both sides, so you can make an informed decision what to worry about or not.

Back
Top Bottom