padi certification / scuba diving lessons recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rb6p

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to this board. I'm interested in getting padi certified in advance of an upcoming trip to fiji. I landed here because I wasn't satisfied by the yelp reviews I came across in the process of trying to find a dive shop in NY.

Several good reviews were posted about Pan Aqua Diving. Meanwhile, Empire Divers got mixed reviews.

Can anyone suggest a good dive shop in the NYC - NJ area through which I can get my padi certification?

Apologies if this information is posted elsewhere on the site.

Thanks in advance!

There are several certfication agencies, PADI is merely one of them. I would recommend interviewing instructors. Here are some questions to ask.

There are several certfication agencies, PADI is merely one of them. I would recommend interviewing instructors.

Great information, Walter. Thanks!

Hi - I'm new to this board. I'm interested in getting padi certified in advance of an upcoming trip to fiji. I landed here because I wasn't satisfied by the yelp reviews I came across in the process of trying to find a dive shop in NY.

Several good reviews were posted about Pan Aqua Diving. Meanwhile, Empire Divers got mixed reviews.

Can anyone suggest a good dive shop in the NYC - NJ area through which I can get my padi certification?

Thanks in advance!

where are you located?
I teach out of a lds here in Yonkers NY . I can put you into a normally scheduled class or have you work with myself independently as a private at YOUR requested schedule.Will pm you.Classroom AND pool on site,no need to load up cars with gear to gp from classroom to pool and scheduling for pool time is no issue.

Last edited:
One person you may want to talk to is Paul (Aquawookie on the boards) and his associate, Nick, who offer private courses. He's been diving for almost 30 years. Paul's very patient and really enjoys talking about a lot of the details about the physics and everything else. He's had experience working at dive shops, mixing gas, working with all sorts of different equipment and seems to really know his stuff. I'm a relatively uncoordinated engineer who asks lots of annoying questions pertaining to physics and chemistry- particularly stuff that begins with "why" and "how", and Paul and Nick were great instructors for me. (They also have/had careers in engineering.)

I'm not sure there's a one-size-fits-all instructor, and I think a lot of folks here will tell you that PanAqua and a number of the dive shops around here are good, too. I've heard good things about Dave with Indian Valley Scuba who also teaches out at Dutch Springs, and it would be hard to go wrong with one of the other instructors associated with the folks in DNY. You've gotta figure out what works for you. I paid a little more for Paul than I would have paid for a group course at PanAqua, but for someone like me who likes to ask a lot of questions ranging from stuff like the thermodynamics of air fills to "What do I do if my buddy is unconscious and I have a decompression obligation?", it was worth every penny.

==========
Disclaimer: I've taken a couple of courses and had three different instructors (Paul, Nick, and this guy who did my checkout dives in Florida), but I only have a little over fifteen dives under my belt. If you want to find out more about Paul, good folks to talk to who have a lot more experience than me- both as divers and learning from Paul- would probably include Chris (CJM on the boards) and Rich (dbuggy, I think), who are part of the DNY crew. Or you can just search for "Aquawookie" on the boards and get the whole gamut of reviews. Shop around, interview your instructors (See Walter's link), and figure out who would be best.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!

Its been about a week since the OP posted this..hopefully he found an instructor to meet his/her needs.I have not heard from them..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom