Padi certification fee amount ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps that is why PADI has chosen to partner/endorse V&B instead of DAN.

-Z
The V&B relationship existed long before DAN offered any such insurance.

Perhaps that is why PADI has chosen to partner/endorse V&B instead of DAN.

-Z
To clarify a bit: your example of DAN US not covering someone working (and presumably residing) in Indonesia may not be relevant to my example of someone with DAN US just teaching a class in Indonesia. One's place of residence is surely relevant.

The V&B relationship existed long before DAN offered any such insurance.

No argument except that I am sure those business relationships are periodically re-evaluated and PADI has not shifted to team up with DAN despite everything that DAN does for the diving world. I just wonder if there is a causal link between the limitations of DAN's insurance compared to the freedom PADI professional members have with V&B.

-Z

To clarify a bit: your example of DAN US not covering someone working (and presumably residing) in Indonesia may not be relevant to my example of someone with DAN US just teaching a class in Indonesia. One's place of residence is surely relevant.

If you purchase a DAN professional liability insurance product in the US it is only valid in the US. If your work as a dive professional takes place outside of the US your US DAN professional liability insurance product will not cover you.

I am a US citizen, PADI Dive Master, living in Belgium. When I purchased my insurance plan I had to purchase it through DAN Europe. There was very specific wording on the US site along the lines that the plans only covered the insured in the US.

The instructor with DAN US professional liability insurance who just teaches a class in Indonesia is not covered by their US DAN professional liability insurance plan (This is different than the regular diving insurance plan), and will need to purchase a plan for Indonesia or the region it is in.

Further, that instructor in the above example, unless they have a work visa, the fact that they are teaching, unless it is 100% voluntary with zero compensation, monetary or service/product in-kind, would most likely be in violation of local laws. One should reference their individual plan to see if there is any wording about coverage not being valid if one is working as professional in violation of local laws even if they had a valid insurance plan for the country/region they are in.

-Z

No argument except that I am sure those business relationships are periodically re-evaluated and PADI has not shifted to team up with DAN despite everything that DAN does for the diving world. I just wonder if there is a causal link between the limitations of DAN's insurance compared to the freedom PADI professional members have with V&B.

-Z
We are all obviously just spit-balling here, no direct knowledge of PADI's business decision process. But... they do team up with DAN at many levels and in many ways, this is just one where they don't.

Also, from my point of view, there is something to be said for loyalty to an existing relationship that has well stood the test of time over many years - it requires a very compelling reason for me to abandon a relationship with a vendor that has in the past provided (and continues to provide) a true partnership.

Reactions: Zef
Well, as long as that DAN Professional Liability Insurance banner keeps demanding my attention on SB, I thought I would click a bit and check it out. First, that site says it (PL Insurance) is only available to US residents at this time. So that distinction suggests there is some variation by region, perhaps with different DAN corporate entities selling different products.

The FAQs on the DAN US site include this:

"Where am I covered when I teach or supervise divers?
The Professional Liability policy offers worldwide coverage to U.S. residents, no matter where in the world you teach or supervise divers."

@Zef - perhaps you had to buy through DAN Europe due to residency issues, and that policy does NOT cover you outside of a specific region?

Anyone know if V&B/Hub sells policies outside the US, and/or how widely outside? I would imagine there are some limitation on that end to, regarding where the broker can do business.

Well, as long as that DAN Professional Liability Insurance banner keeps demanding my attention on SB, I thought I would click a bit and check it out. First, that site says it (PL Insurance) is only available to US residents at this time. So that distinction suggests there is some variation by region, perhaps with different DAN corporate entities selling different products.

The FAQs on the DAN US site include this:

"Where am I covered when I teach or supervise divers?
The Professional Liability policy offers worldwide coverage to U.S. residents, no matter where in the world you teach or supervise divers."

The FAQ from their website is not legally binding but the statements in the policy one signs are. Here is the relevant wording from their US policy:

"Territory
This policy applies to BODILY INJURY and PROPERTY DAMAGE arising from any negligent act, error or omission in the rendering or failure to render PROFESSIONAL SERVICES by the INSURED anywhere in the world, but only if the CLAIM arising from such negligent act, error or omission is made and any suit relating to the CLAIM is brought in any of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or any of the possessions or territories of the United States. "

So in the example being discussed, the DM or Instructor with the US policy goes to Indonesia and something goes askew that results in a claim centered around professional liability. The DM/Instructor would only be covered if that claim or lawsuit is brought against them in the US....if that claim/lawsuit is filed in the Indonesian legal system or elsewhere (other than the US) then DAN would not cover the claim/damages against the US policy holder.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom