Padi C Card Pic Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It asked me to uplaod a photo and did not give me an existing photo...... so how do I get to see her photo?
If it didn't show you the photo on file, it means that the photo is likely not in the computer file.

As DandyDon said, you may yet need that teenage helper. :)

I'm really suspecting his computer and/or connection. As slow as Padi's site is, a slow computer could give up before the pic loaded. PM me the info if you'd like me to look.

So am I the only one wondering about this thread? Ok, I teach. And being in education I am governed by federal regulations that are very strict about releasing any sort of information on students (we aren't even allowed to post grades on our door that show the student's name). Now PADI may not have the same constraints but think about it. In an era of stalking and identity theft, folks on this board want to lend their "expertise" to someone to access a photo through what amounts to be fradulent means? ("card replacement") Nice. Call me paranoid but c'mon. I'm not saying the OP has any bad intentions--but if this were your daughter, sister, wife etc. being asked about would you be so helpful?

Play a joke? I'd say get the family to go along with it. That way it might actually be funny to the person on the receiving end. // ww

Warmwater Wank, I appreciate your point. The bigger problem is that Padi is not sercure. PM me your name as on card and your birthdate and I'll get your pic for you. :11:

So am I the only one wondering about this thread? Ok, I teach. And being in education I am governed by federal regulations that are very strict about releasing any sort of information on students (we aren't even allowed to post grades on our door that show the student's name). Now PADI may not have the same constraints but think about it. In an era of stalking and identity theft, folks on this board want to lend their "expertise" to someone to access a photo through what amounts to be fradulent means? ("card replacement") Nice. Call me paranoid but c'mon. I'm not saying the OP has any bad intentions--but if this were your daughter, sister, wife etc. being asked about would you be so helpful?

Play a joke? I'd say get the family to go along with it. That way it might actually be funny to the person on the receiving end. // ww
If the person has the necessary info (birthdate and full name), I'm pretty sure the photo wouldn't be hard to come by through other means, either.

Heck, you could figure out where they live easy enough and take your own photo!

Truthfully, I think our culture is a little too hung up on privacy. And *that* is why identity thieves do their thing.

Truthfully, I think our culture is a little too hung up on privacy. And *that* is why identity thieves do their thing.
Identity thieves "do their thing" because it is profitable, like stealing your wallet.

Identity thieves "do their thing" because it is profitable, like stealing your wallet.
And it's profitable because we've made our identity documents something private that secures our lives. Sorry I didn't fully explain the logic.

so much for privacy

Haha. Displaying a photo when you have someone's full name and birthdate as affront to privacy? That's a joke.

How many times have you shown your drivers license to someone who wasn't a police officer? I do it whenever I go to buy alcohol, go to a club and about half the time I use a credit card.

Many places (in Hawaii, at least) key your birthdate into the till when you buy alcohol, which is then attached to your discount card and credit card info. Incidentally, you've had your photo taken several times by the time you reach the till -- the security cameras have likely captured enough angles of you to create a reasonable 3-d model.

And it's profitable because we've made our identity documents something private that secures our lives.
What's the alternative? Cash under the mattress? Or other (private) numbers in lieu of birthdate and Social Security number?

What's the alternative? Cash under the mattress? Or other (private) numbers in lieu of birthdate and Social Security number?
We're getting *way* off topic, but at least we've answered the OP question.

There's three ways of authenticating yourself, from weakest to strongest:
1. something you have
2. something you know (not recorded on paper or anywhere else that it can be "fetched" from)
3. something you are

Some examples for each:
1. a SSN or passport number, a card or a "token" authenticator
2. a password that you type into a computer or speak to a person (obviously, if it's spoken, it needs to be one-time-use-only)
3. a fingerprint, iris / retina scan, voiceprint, DNA or other biometric

Our society has decided that we're happy enough with using the "something you have" method of authentication for nearly everything that relates to our identity. Unfortunately, these numbers and documents (e.g. passports, credit cards, drivers licenses) are just too out in the open.

Then, when we hear of a government that's trying to secure this, usually with a national identification card (including biometrics), we're appalled at how the government is now going to know our every little secret and be able to track our comings and goings.

Ultimately, if you want to secure your identity, you'd SUPPORT any movement that changes us from strictly "something you have" authentication to a combination of at least two if not all three methods of authentication.

If, in order to identify yourself, you had to present a card, enter a password (not stored on the card, but in a central, secure, one-way encryption database) and also give a fingerprint or iris scan (also stored in a similar database to the password, though completely separate), then we'd virtually eliminate identity theft, not to mention the idea of forged travel documents.

Back
Top Bottom