PADI book question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my original book from the 1980s. But I wouldn't hand it to my daughter to learn from. What are the big instructional changes in diving since 1998? Computer in and tables out....When did they start instructing to do safety stops? ascent rates?

Really, you could pretty much dive like its 1999 and live to tell about it.

Thanks for the feedback. I will just let these sit on a shelf and collect dust.

But for those wondering the gear I bought was mainly picked up for the regulators and gauges. The rest I will hang on to for my wife after it is all checked out.
I dont see a model for the US Divers reg.
20180929_102735.jpg

20180929_102758.jpg

20180929_102806.jpg

20180929_102828.jpg

20180929_102837.jpg

I am sure I will need a new dive computer. I am going to pick up a new battery just to see is this old one works for kicks.
20180929_102912.jpg

The regulator looks like it has hardly ever been used. One of the strengths of the second hand market is the availability of gear that was purchased and then only used a few times. Take a good look at the hoses, too. Time does not treat rubber well and hose failures suck because they dive killers. bend the hose and look for cracking and also blistering, which is a good indicator of an impending failure. You might want to invest in a computer that is a little more modern. If it works, you could keep it as a back-up. It dates back to the late '90s. The reg is probably fine with servicing. The wetsuit might be usable. I would definitely look closely at the BCD. I have seen old cheap starter BCDs that were glued together falling apart after years in storage. A high end BCD will (should) last a long time.

The regulator looks like it has hardly ever been used. One of the strengths of the second hand market is the availability of gear that was purchased and then only used a few times. Take a good look at the hoses, too. Time does not treat rubber well and hose failures suck because they dive killers. bend the hose and look for cracking and also blistering, which is a good indicator of an impending failure. You might want to invest in a computer that is a little more modern. If it works, you could keep it as a back-up. It dates back to the late '90s. The reg is probably fine with servicing. The wetsuit might be usable. I would definitely look closely at the BCD. I have seen old cheap starter BCDs that were glued together falling apart after years in storage. A high end BCD will (should) last a long time.

I didn't get a wetsuit. Just a BCD the regs and gauges plus a mask snorkel and Mares fins and a dive gear bag. All for a whopping $50. The other gear is in great shape and I examined the hoses using a magnifier head peice I use for other stuff. The hoses are in great shape visually. The other gear my wife will use when she decides to get her certification as we will have to do this one at a time. I will have everything inspected by a dive shop when we get the rest of what we need. We have had masks and snorkels for some time as we do snorkel a lot. Just need new fins for myself and a wetsuit and BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom