PADI book question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaMatt72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
These books came with some used gear I picked up and I was wondering did the training rules change from the publication of these? They are from 1996.

20180919_193841.jpg

Not being mean but if the gear is that old too you may want to get it serviced before you start your training to get certified.

Not being mean but if the gear is that old too you may want to get it serviced before you start your training to get certified.

Ohh I will I knew that before I bought it. It was last serviced 5 years ago. Then put up. I just want to do some reading and research more. I wont start my classes until next spring. Got to many things going on this fall and winter.

If you got regs in the deal you can post some pics on here and get some advise just a little pre warning some people on this site are less than tactful.

If you got regs in the deal you can post some pics on here and get some advise just a little pre warning some people on this site are less than tactful.

The main thing I bought the stuff for where the Regs. The rest will fit my wife but not me. Lol.

PADI would never want you buying less than new.....

Seriously, you are going to get up to date info in the class. I’ll second the suggestion that you get everything serviced before use. A 22 year old BCD is what I would be most suspicious of. A cheap or poorly stored BCD may have degraded to the point it will not hold air . A regulator will last virtually forever because they are designed to replace all rubber silicone parts.

A 22 year old wetsuit may not be worth it either, because they can degrade from sun and repeated use. Of course, that the book is 22years old does not mean the rest of the gear is that old.

Although they are old books, it won't hurt to read them, and understand some things are different now.

As far as the used gear goes the reg may be serviceable and it would be in your best interest to check as a number of good regs were made back then. If the wetsuit fits, the biggest issue would be the loss of insulating properties so you might be able to use it for a while. The BC needs to be checked by a shop or a knowledgeable diver.

Post some pictures of the gear if you get a chance, some things are not worth the trouble.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom