padang bai question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed with Wisnu, some of the warungs at or close to the ferry terminal offer some great Indo food for very cheap prices.
Amanda, it is the Tanah Ampo Jetty. Been diving there for 3 years now. It keeps on getting better and we do end up with divers wanting to dive there all the time. The macro is amazing, but it is getting great for wide angle and video. There is a huge school of baitfish. When their predators are out, it feels like the opening scene of "saving private Ryan". One tip though: avoid diving there on week-ends. It is as popular with fishermen as it is with divers...

Thanks Cedric. Dave and I dived the Tanah Ampo area when we first arrived in Padang Bai in 2008; it was actually forbidden to dive beneath the jetty so we anchored some distance away and did a long swim in (secretly). There were scores of young Barracuda, weird and wonderful frogfish and a resident cow-tail ray at that time.

Hunting between the jetty legs was like searching for lost treasure and we were always conscious of our bubbles being visible from the surface, in case we were arrested on surfacing!

I'm sure you are aware of the relatively new site for macro, which lies between the Odyssey pontoon and the jetty (?) It's an area of soft corals and rubble about 10 metres square. Fantastic hidden delights, shhhhhhhhhhh :wink:

Hi Amanda,

Sounds like you're talking about the Pertamina pier. I have dived there only once on a rebreather since it is illegal to go there due to fears of terrorist acts on this strategic asset. We definitely would not bring guests there for this reason.
The Jetty that everyone raves about is 800m to the North East of the Pertamina pier. It was meant for landing large cruise ships in Tanah Ampo and unleashing hordes of tourists. Construction started in 2009. Not a single cruise ship has ever landed there since it does not meet international requirements for length of the pier and minimum depth. The construction has been stalled since. I doubt the project will ever be completed since it would take a massive amount of dredging and/or building a much larger pier... but never say never! There is so much life on it, diving there can be overwhelming!
Today on the Jetty divers saw tons of nudis, a blue ring octopus, a rhinopia and the usual frogfish... An average dive in macro paradise.

You can see both piers on the Google Earth capture below.
GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Ah, Ok, I understand now, thanks for the photo Cedric. That means we'll have to come back to Bali just to dive the new jetty site, wahoo!

Back
Top Bottom