Packing, Travel, Resort Info, and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion 2018 to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

Packing, Travel, Resort Info, and Diving Tips
for the ScubaBoard Invasion 2018 to Cozumel

Well, we are getting closer SB Invasion 2018 to Cozumel!!!!!
I thought we could touch base on some of the great ideas and info
that everyone has on preparing, packing, travel, the resort and dive related tips.
For some this is old hat, so share your knowledge.

I’ll get things started… Here are some of my tips and info.
Any new info that I update to these 4 initial posts along the way will be in GREEN
so you won't need to search for changing information!

General Travel Info
Anytime you are traveling outside of your normal area, it's good to check
CDC Destinations/Travelers Health Info

While we have no issues that necessitate recommended vaccinations you should always consult with your doctor prior to leaving the country.

Cozumel Travel Tips
Additional Maps of Cozumel

App Map for the Downtown Area

Travel Checklist
I have a travel checklist that I keep on file and printout for each trip. We'll send it out in the next email and you may use it if you like or make your own list. The list includes everything that might be needed. If there's something on the list that doesn't apply to this trip, I just cross it off. I also include things to do like stopping the mail, newspaper, contacting your cell provider if you want service there, and calling the credit card companies to inform them that I will be going out of the country so they don't cut you off in mid-trip.

It's also a Good thing to start packing early, in case anything needs to be serviced or repaired before you go.

DON'T FORGET These Items when Packing!

Airline tickets/info
for going and return flights
Bay Adventures Travel Vouchers for the Resort and Diving Reservations.
(Bay Adventures will email them out to everyone a few weeks before travel.)
Passports (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry on)
Driver’s License or if you don’t have one, some other form of picture ID.
Diving
Certification Cards or E-Cards (I also make a copy of them and put it in my carry on.)
Dive Paradise Waiver - Print, fill out and bring with you to the dive shop.
DAN and Health Insurance Cards
ScubaBoard Waiver
(Cardzard will email it out to everyone a few weeks before travel. Please print, fill out and bring with you to the welcome party on the 1st night.)
Credit cards are widely accepted, but it's always good to have cash. Small Bills (1’s, 5’s, 10’s and 20’s go a long way) (Some of the restaurants or shops don't accept credit cards or $100 bills if you plan on venturing out on the island.) Visit www.oanda.com or www.xe.com for current rates for those traveling other than from the US.
Prescription Medication (Keep it in the prescription bottle with your name on it and carry in your personal item. Not in your carry on) And always bring a few days extra in case you have travel delays along the way.
Over the counter medications and first aid items that you may need.
Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island and many items are not readily available.
Especially allergy medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction. I have a med pack for traveling with items such as band-aids, sports wraps, Benadryl, Imodium, Advil, bug bite cream etc.
Sunscreen (Try to use products if possible for the coral reefs health)
Sunscreen (my favorite Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen.
Hats
Bug spray
(Insect repellent is recommended and is also sold at the resort.) Near sunset and sunrise are the worst time for mosquitoes and no-see-ums.) Here are a few products Cactus Juice, www.reefsafesuncare.com. Here's a comparison of the Best Insect Repellents with Deet. and for Noseeums
Also, don't leave your door open or you may invite them into your room.
FYI Did you know that if you put hand soap on a bite right away, leave it on and don't scratch it, many times it will alleviate the itch and swelling.
Woolite or those all-in-one washer sheets if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes or dive wear in the sink/tub. Especially great when you're staying longer than a week.
Clothespins and lightweight rope. They help when hanging items up for drying and to keep them from blowing off the porches.
A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)
Tennis Shoes or sneakers if your planning on going on Island excursions, especially to the ruins.

:) :) :) :)

Airline Travel
Due to current security measures, you'll need to allow more time for check-in, security screening, and boarding flights. Please check with your airline prior to departure for the latest recommended arrival times and security guidelines. It is also recommended you have a government-issued picture ID available at all times, as well as a printed itinerary if you're using an electronic ticket.

U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport.

CARRY ON ANY ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE.
Any items that you couldn't do without such as prescriptions, contacts/glasses, ID’s, Credit Cards, Cash etc., carry in your personal item or on your person, not in your carry on. Sometimes a carry on can be moved to checked luggage if they run out of room and you don't want to be without those type of items.

Please Check with your Airline for specific rules as to what's accepted, size and weight limits for luggage and procedure for checking in, as these seem to be changing constantly. For anything in question or in liquid form, check with your airline.

I recommend carrying on -
ID’s, Credit Cards, Cash etc.
Prescription Medication
Prescription Glasses/Contacts/Mask
Jewelry/watches
Any Cameras/Phones/Electronics/Housings
Rechargeable batteries in individual cases or bags
Your Regulators
Dive Computers
Dive lights (take batteries out or for rechargeable lights, put in locked mode.)

Making the most of the luggage weight restrictions and packing
(Don't forget, Men and Women are allowed to have a personal item purse/backpack/briefcase/man purse in addition to their carry on. Make the most of it!)
I have a large purse that I use just for flying. The personal item is not weighed, so it's great for a few heavier items. Just make sure the items you put in your personal item can be carried on and not needed to be placed in checked luggage. ( Again always check with your airline.)
Think about lightweight items when packing. Inexpensive t-shirts (like Hanes or fruit of the loom) are very lightweight, come in multiple colors, are great for shore diving cover-ups and can be left behind if you shop too much in town. Lightweight dresses, shorts, and tops are great for the ladies.Think khakis or other lightweight fabrics over jeans.
Shoes can weigh a lot also. I wear my tennis shoes on the plane as they weigh the most.
A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)
A personal travel hand scale is an invaluable tool so you don't have surprises when getting to the airport on your flights.

Put your name, address, and phone number inside all your bags including your carry on and personal item in case they become lost or separated from you. You can also put a copy of your itinerary right on top. If they have to open your bag, they know who you are, what airline you’re flying and where to send the bag.
If you're traveling with a partner, put some of each person's items in each checked bag. That way if one of the bags get lost, you still have some of your things.
If a solo traveler, try to fit in at least 1 extra of your undergarments in your carry on. Outerwear is easier to purchase if your bags arrive late or are lost, but trying to find undergarments for purchase can be more difficult.

Travel from Airport to Hotel
Most of you will have other crew members on your flight. The best way to get to the hotel is once everyone gets thru customs, walk past all those trying to sell timeshares to the outside of the airport and locate the taxi/vans, they will be right outside the airport. You'll need to purchase a ticket at the window.
The airport shuttle to the hotel is currently around 96 pesos or about $7 per person.
The Taxi back to the airport is about $17 per taxi.

Weather Forecast to help you decide what to pack.
June Climate & Weather Averages in Cozumel
Low Temp: 75 °F, High Temp: 90 °F
Precipitation: 5.17", Humidity: 85%

I also want to remind everyone again of the importance of getting
Hydrated before and staying hydrated while traveling.
The typical airplane cabin is exceptionally dry and dehydrating.
At around 12 percent humidity, it is drier than you will find in most deserts.
You do not want to start your vacation off dehydrated.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hotel Cozumel & Resort Amenities
Our hosts Hotel Cozumel & Resort Website
Their Services

The Guest Rooms are equipped with
Free WiFi
Television
Telephone
Safe
Toiletries
Hair dryer
Balcony or terrace
A/C

Water - There are water coolers in all the halls to refill water bottles for your room. You should always be conscious of what you are eating and drinking when you are outside of your normal routine and country.

Electricity
North American standard layout and voltage of 110 volts(60 cycles), so adapters or transformers are not required for U.S. and Canadian appliances. A plug strip is a great thing to bring if you need to recharge batteries and such.

The Tipping Guideline
Tips can NOT be charged to your room. (Tipping is personal, tip what you feel is appropriate for the service the staff provided for the week)

Meals and beverages

Breakfast Daily from 6:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Lunch Daily from 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Dinner Daily from 6:30 PM - 10:00 PM
All resort packages include three meals daily and snacks from the snack bar.
For special dietary requests, please advise Bay Adventures prior to departure.

Los Arcos
The main restaurant located by the front desk.
Serving the perfect morning start buffet breakfast and dinner.
Breakfast from 6:30 am – 10:30 am
Dinner from 6:30 pm – 10:00 pm

Snack Bar by the pool
They serve snacks and beverages in a relaxing atmosphere by the largest pool of Cozumel.
Restaurant service: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Bar service: 10:00 am – 10:00 pm.

Los Girasoles
Enjoy an extraordinary ocean view during the lunch.
Buffet service: 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Bar service: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Lobby Bar
Offers a wide variety or domestic liquors and beer.
A perfect place to watch a favorite sport or to play some of our table games.
Open from 05:00 pm – 1:00 am

Room Service
Open from 6:30 am – 10:30 pm (additional fee)

Resort Activities
There are plenty of scheduled activities by the swimming pool, nightly entertainment, open-air gym, pool tables, bike tours, and non-motorized water sports such as; snorkeling, kayaking and one free Scuba Dive introductory lesson per person.

Excursions are available at the activities desk. Some of the Things to Do
Shopping
, There is a gift shop onsite and The downtown shopping area is a 15 min. walk from the resort.
Spa Services are Available
Taxis
are readily available should you desire to leave the property.
Vehicles are available through the resort.

ScubaBoard Scheduled Activities at the Resort for the Week

SB Welcome Party
Saturday, June 16th, 8:00-10:00 pm
Conference Room

SB Group Photo
Thursday, June 21st, 6:00 – 6:15 pm
in the Lobby

SB Farewell Party
Thursday, June 21st, 7:30-9:30 pm
Conference Room

:grouphug2::cheers::grouphug2:

Diving Tips

Invasion Crew Dive Teams and Boat RotationsTo Be Announced *
There is a NASE Advanced Open Water Class available with The Chairman, register before May 14, 2018.
There is a Free Nitrox Certification Class available with the Chairman, register before May 14, 2018.
Please follow the links for details.

Here are a few additional links you might be interested in.
Dive Paradise
Cozumel Dive Map

Dive Sites Info
Photography tips
All scuba divers must register with the dive shop after checking in. Please print, fill out, and bring with you the Dive Paradise waiver and your certification cards. Afterward, you can do a shore dive to check out your gear and weights. You simply get your gear ready, enter the water, and do your dive. The shallow area to the left side is the easiest entry.
If you do not get in early enough, you will need to check on Sunday morning before getting on the boats.

Shore diving at Hotel Cozumel
(Tanks must be returned by 10 pm)

Boat Times
Sunday - Friday (8:00 AM show) Boats depart for a 2-tank dive. Boats return around 1 to 2 PM.
You can purchase additional afternoon boat dives and boat night dives through the dive shop.

Lockers

Dive Paradise has dive lockers for each room. You may also take your gear to your room and use the outdoor patio that all rooms have to dry gear. The locks are key locks in the doors, so you DO Not need to bring a lock.
Tanks, weights, and weight belts are included.

Tanks are yoke so bring a DIN adapter if diving DIN.
Night Diving - There are no scheduled night dives, but we usually like to get in 1-2 night boat dives during the week.
You can schedule in advance if you want.
Night Dive Cost $40 per person (if booked in advance with Bay Adventures)
You can also do a shore night dive any evening Sunday - Thursday. (Tanks must be returned by 10 pm)

TIPPING GUIDELINES - DM's will rotate with each Crew so you can tip them at the end of the week. Tip the boat captains as you are finished diving with them during the week as you will be moving around. *

We always feel tipping is a personal matter. A general guideline is a starting point of $5 per tank for DM's. Please tip what you feel appropriate for the service that Dive Paradise has provided during the week.

Pointer sticks are allowed only for pointing out critters and as tank bangers, please do not use them to touch coral or animals.

Camera care, A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry those bigger underwater cameras and the smaller ones too on the boats! They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, lightweight and rinse out easily. I have also found the little neoprene drawstrings bags with clips are great for protecting your Go Pros on the poles or trays.

Hair care, I use Scuba Do Rags to keep my hair under control. If I don't keep my hair braided and covered like that, It would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable condition in it while dry before covering it. I use Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen leave in conditioner. Some kind of covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless you're bald, it very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Skin or Wetsuits? Warm tropical weather is the norm.
Water temperatures are around 84 - 87° F, and the underwater visibility typically exceeds 150 feet. So if you're one of those divers that are on the cold side or planning on doing a lot of diving, you might want to bring your shorty, 3- 5 ml. wetsuit.
Also keep in mind if you signed up for the whale shark excursion, you'll need a 3mil or shorty, if not they will make you where a full life jacket.
You'll also want your 3mil for the cenotes.

Other tips

Bring a thumb drive to share photos or to enter the Underwater Scavenger Hunt Contest.

This is a good time to get your gear serviced! If it's new or has been serviced, you might want to get in a pool session/dive in and make sure it works.

We like to use baby shampoo for mask defog.

My feet get blisters and take a beating while diving multiple days, so I wear the thin socks. They also help your feet slip into your wetsuit!

A waterproof bag for the boat comes in handy for keeping things dry. A lightweight gear bag (one with wheels would be great) to help you transport your gear back and forth from your room to the dive shop.

Found this article and thought it might have some helpful tips for your ears and diving. :D
Ear Clearing 101

Save a Dive Kit (Spare Parts) We have a full-service dive shops available from our hosts. You'll find they really go out of their way to be helpful there. I would just bring some basics for the boat, O rings, mask strap, tie wraps and elastic bungee etc. I would also include a spare battery for your computer. You may not find your type batteries there so I prefer to have one handy.Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island and many items are not readily available.​

I also want to remind everyone again of
the importance of getting Hydrated before
and
staying Hydrated during the Invasion.
(beer and cocktails don't count)
It will be very hot and humid down in Cozumel, especially for the northern folks.
Drinking small amounts continually during the day
instead of downing 1-2 glasses a day will help your body retain the liquids better.
And remember if your planning on drinking after diving,
drink some water in between drinks
to help with the adverse effects of drinking and dehydration.
Have fun, but play it smart and safe.
:clearmask::clearmask::clearmask:

Please feel free to add any additional info that you feel might be helpful!

Any new info that I update to these 4 initial posts along the way will be in GREEN
so you won't need to search for changing information!

Copied from another thread

#1- Immigration form: One per passenger, also known as an FMM (Multiple Immigration Form) or "tourist visa". Required information includes, Name/DOB/Citizenship info, Passport info, Flight info, and where you are staying while visiting Cozumel, ie: Hotel name or address FYI: The town and state you are visiting while on Cozumel is most likely San Miguel, Quintana Roo #2 -Customs Declaration: One given to each head of household. This form will be given to the representative at the Security screening after retrieving your luggage. Refer to the SAT website http://www.sat.gob.mx for more information on Duty Free allowance. Arrival->Passengers disembark the plane via passenger stairs moved out to the tarmac. Stairway assistance is available for those who require it. Passengers are then directed into the waiting room at Immigration and stand in queue until they are called to the Immigration desk. The agent will ask for your passport and FMM. He/she will review the information and hand your passport and FMM receipt back to you. DO NOT LOSE your FMM receipt, as you will need this form to exit the country. If lost there is a fee to replace it.[TIP: Restroom in this area.]

I went to Cozumel a year and a half ago (this will be my 8th trip) and my buddy had thrown out the FMM receipt and it was a royal pain to track down the guy to get another one. We nearly missed the flight. He didn't want to pay the $30 again and tried to negotiate with the guy. You're not buying a trinket downtown lol. To top it off we were hungover to the max after drunken karaoke at the Hotel Cozumel bar the night before. What a trip.

Fat Daddy

Diving Tips

Invasion Crew Dive Teams and Boat RotationsTo Be Announced *
There is a NASE Advanced Open Water Class available with The Chairman, register before May 14, 2018.
There is a Free Nitrox Certification Class available with the Chairman, register before May 14, 2018.
Please follow the links for details.

Here are a few additional links you might be interested in.
Dive Paradise
Cozumel Dive Map

Dive Sites Info
Photography tips
All scuba divers must register with the dive shop after checking in. Please print, fill out, and bring with you the Dive Paradise waiver and your certification cards. Afterward, you can do a shore dive to check out your gear and weights. You simply get your gear ready, enter the water, and do your dive. The shallow area to the left side is the easiest entry.
If you do not get in early enough, you will need to check on Sunday morning before getting on the boats.

Shore diving at Hotel Cozumel (more info coming soon)

Boat Times
Sunday - Friday (8:00 AM show) Boats depart for a 2-tank dive. Boats return around 1 to 2 PM.
You can purchase additional afternoon boat dives and boat night dives through the dive shop.

Lockers

Dive Paradise has dive lockers for each room. You may also take your gear to your room and use the outdoor patio that all rooms have to dry gear.
Tanks, weights, and weight belts are included.

Tanks are yoke so bring a DIN adapter if diving DIN.

TIPPING GUIDELINES - DM's will rotate with each Crew so you can tip them at the end of the week. Tip the boat captains as you are finished diving with them during the week as you will be moving around. *

We always feel tipping is a personal matter. A general guideline is a starting point of $5 per tank for DM's. Please tip what you feel appropriate for the service that Dive Paradise has provided during the week.

Pointer sticks are allowed only for pointing out critters and as tank bangers, please do not use them to touch coral or animals.

Camera care, A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry those bigger underwater cameras and the smaller ones too on the boats! They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, lightweight and rinse out easily. I have also found the little neoprene drawstrings bags with clips are great for protecting your Go Pros on the poles or trays.

Hair care, I use Scuba Do Rags to keep my hair under control. If I don't keep my hair braided and covered like that, It would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable condition in it while dry before covering it. I use Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen leave in conditioner. Some kind of covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless you're bald, it very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Skin or Wetsuits? Warm tropical weather is the norm.
Water temperatures are around 84 - 87° F, and the underwater visibility typically exceeds 150 feet. So if you're one of those divers that are on the cold side or planning on doing a lot of diving, you might want to bring your shorty, 3- 5 ml. wetsuit.
Also keep in mind if you signed up for the whale shark excursion, you'll need a 3mil or shorty, if not they will make you where a full life jacket.
You'll also want your 3mil for the cenotes.

Other tips

Bring a thumb drive to share photos or to enter the Underwater Scavenger Hunt Contest.

This is a good time to get your gear serviced! If it's new or has been serviced, you might want to get in a pool session/dive in and make sure it works.

We like to use baby shampoo for mask defog.

My feet get blisters and take a beating while diving multiple days, so I wear the thin socks. They also help your feet slip into your wetsuit!

A waterproof bag for the boat comes in handy for keeping things dry. A lightweight gear bag (one with wheels would be great) to help you transport your gear back and forth from your room to the dive shop.

Found this article and thought it might have some helpful tips for your ears and diving. :D
Ear Clearing 101

Save a Dive Kit (Spare Parts) We have a full-service dive shops available from our hosts. You'll find they really go out of their way to be helpful there. I would just bring some basics for the boat, O rings, mask strap, tie wraps and elastic bungee etc. I would also include a spare battery for your computer. You may not find your type batteries there so I prefer to have one handy.Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island and many items are not readily available.​

I also want to remind everyone again of
the importance of getting Hydrated before
and
staying Hydrated during the Invasion.
(beer and cocktails don't count)
It will be very hot and humid down in Cozumel, especially for the northern folks.
Drinking small amounts continually during the day
instead of downing 1-2 glasses a day will help your body retain the liquids better.
And remember if your planning on drinking after diving,
drink some water in between drinks
to help with the adverse effects of drinking and dehydration.
Have fun, but play it smart and safe.
:clearmask::clearmask::clearmask:

Any planned night diving?

Any planned night diving?

There are no scheduled night dives, but we usually like to get in 1-2 night boat dives during the week.
You can schedule in advance if you want.
Night Dive Cost $40 per person
(if booked in advance with Bay Adventures)
You can also do a shore night dive any evening Sunday - Thursday. (Tanks must be returned by 10 pm)

Do we need a lock for the lockers?

Back
Top Bottom