Packing regulator for travel, How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vimaldude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to purchase my first regulator, octo and console setup.
I am curious about how do you pack these things for travel? Do you remove the hoses and pack them separately or do you keep them attached to first stage?

It seems to me the it would be lot easier to remove the hoses and then pack first/second stage and console into sturdy boxes. How easy/difficult is it to remove and connect hoses?

newbie mind is confused...:06:

It is easy to remove and connect the hoses but there is not need to. Just put the entire reg (first stage, second stages, console) in a padded bag and hand carry. I always hand carry my regs - they are life support equipment and I do not let them out of my sight when I travel. Yes, you can put your reg in your "checked" luggage/dive bag/case but why risk possible damage or theft?

Don't disassemble it. Keep it together, in your carry-on bag. Wrappin it in some clothing seems to do the trick.

DSAO,

Anthony

I recommend against disassembly. I figure that if it doesn't leak now and there is no cross-threading, why risk a problem by disassembling it to travel. Most problems occur when something gets changed. That goes for the straps on your fins, too. (Pull the straps on and off your heel, don't use the quick releases as thats when things break or get lost.)

I hand carry the regs, octos and computers all assembled in separate bag on plane. I do not check for fear of loss; however, I inform TSA personnel what I have when I go through the line. I carry a copy of TSA rules that allow them on the plane. The rules can be downloaded off the internet. I do not have a special bag, but I bought thick foam padding, and wrap it around all items. John

I have a padded Akona regulator backpack that I carry my regulator and mask in. I always carry it on with me. I don't disassemble anything. I can't see a need to do it unless it needs service.

THX1138:
I hand carry the regs, octos and computers all assembled in separate bag on plane. I do not check for fear of loss; however, I inform TSA personnel what I have when I go through the line. I carry a copy of TSA rules that allow them on the plane. The rules can be downloaded off the internet. I do not have a special bag, but I bought thick foam padding, and wrap it around all items. John

Ditto, except I use my swim trunks and a T-shirt instead of thick foam padding, as my carry-on also has my medications in it along with my regulator set and dive computers. I have a copy of the TSA rules printed and in the inside pocket of the carry-on. I also leave a second copy on top of my stuff both in checked and carry-on so it's the first thing they have to touch when they go into the bag.

I once had a TSA employee at the metal detector / carry-on X-ray station tell me I'd have to go back to the ticket counter and put my regulator in checked baggage as the first stage at the end of the second stage hose was a bludgeon in his ruling. Asking immediately for a supervisor and the quick appearance of said supervisor, along with the printed TSA list in plain evidence quickly resolved this in my favor.

I have Scubapro equipment, so I pack my regs in a padded Scubapro bag. I wrap them in bubble wrap and add booties and hood if there is extra room. Sometimes I have more bubble wrap and won't need the extra padding. I printed a label in large letters and taped it to the reg bag stating to handle with care, underwater breathing equipment. Then I place the reg bag at the end of my dive bag and pack the rest of the dive gear. I place a towel on top of it all and pull the inner straps tight so nothing will shift.
I print a list of all the equipment that's in the bag along with my name, address, phone and e-mail plus my destination hotel, place it in a baggie and pin it to the inside of my dive bag where it is easily seen. I keep a second copy in my carry on. My reg bag also has my name tag on the outside. My dive bag has two name tags on the outside in case one gets caught on something and falls off. I top the whole thing off with a TSA approved lock. I have not had any problems with my checked luggage. I would advise against disassembling your hoses, it's really not necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom