Packing for first dive trip -- what am we missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How'd that happen??......

After diving we take the weight pouches out of the BCDs and soak them in fresh water. Then we put them in the lead bag. I forgot to get them out of the lead bag. Now it's on my list of things to remember.

Some places - Cozumel is one of them, I believe - that forbid divers to wear gloves in the name of coral conservation. When I was there in 2006, we were also explicitly forbidden to carry knives. The idea of getting into the water without a cutting tool is distinctly unappealing, I know, so maybe a z-knife of a pair of trauma shears is a better bet. You'll still be prepared while respecting local requirements.

Some places - Cozumel is one of them, I believe - that forbid divers to wear gloves in the name of coral conservation. When I was there in 2006, we were also explicitly forbidden to carry knives. The idea of getting into the water without a cutting tool is distinctly unappealing, I know, so maybe a z-knife of a pair of trauma shears is a better bet. You'll still be prepared while respecting local requirements.

A pair of shears is a better bet whether they allow you to take a knife or not...!

The last time I used my dive knife in Cozumel, it was to cut a glow stick off my tank after a night dive. So the knife allowed me to learn where to get a tetanus shot on that island...

:D

I took my EMT shears but honestly did not use them nor did I feel the need to bring them on any dive.
I do wish I had a laptop on my last trip there. It would have been nice to send photos back home and keep in touch with a few folks.

I took my EMT shears but honestly did not use them nor did I feel the need to bring them on any dive.

They are for for cutting line, specifically monofilament fishing line, or any other potential source of entanglement. They work a lot better for this than any knife, and they are a lot safer... but of course, it is statistically unlikely that you would need them on any given dive.

I have never used my air bag, but I think that I will keep it in the car, anyway...!

Correct-----but none are needed anyway

Thanks for all the great suggestions. You all helped us pack very well. I'm sure I've got many things I don't need. =-)

I'm very cold tolerant; my instructor who knows Cozumel well was the one that suggested a skin was all I'll need. With water temps 78-80 I would agree. But, I know the weather down there is iffy right now, so if we're wrong, I'll just come home with one more piece of gear. =-)

Now about the safety sausage... multiple people said "make sure you know how to use it." Is that a trick question? :eyebrow:

As I understand it (from our amusing test deployments in the living room) you surface, establish boyancy, look for the boat. If you see the boat, give your ok signal. If you can't see the boat or they don't appear to have spotted you, then inflate the sausage (using breath or octo), clip it to yourself, and raise it high. Don't wave it unless you're intending to signal distressed diver. Take it down once the boat arrives.

Am I missing something?

For Cozumel drift dives when you get separated from the DM, it may be advisable to deploy the SMB while you are doing your safety stop. Typically a DM in Cozumel will deploy his own SMB at safety stop depth. This helps the boat crew follow your/DM position while you are still underwater. This kind of SMB deployment can take some skill and practice. Depending on the type of SMB you have, there may be multiple methods for filling it with gas. It's also pretty easy to get tangled in your line if you don't have any experience doing it.

Obviously, the SMB can also be used once you reach the surface...but I think the comments you referred to in your previous post relate to underwater SMB deployment.

Obviously, the SMB can also be used once you reach the surface...but I think the comments you referred to in your previous post relate to underwater SMB deployment.

Aha! I figured there was something I didn't get in that conversation. =-) I'll leave the underwater deployment for a later date!

They are for for cutting line, specifically monofilament fishing line, or any other potential source of entanglement. They work a lot better for this than any knife, and they are a lot safer... but of course, it is statistically unlikely that you would need them on any given dive.

I have never used my air bag, but I think that I will keep it in the car, anyway...!

First time I took my EMT shears with me diving in California/Catalina Island I got tangeled up around my fins with fishing line while moving thru the kelp forest. They cut thru stuff like a hot knife cuts thru butter. Great tool to have in addition to a knife.
But in Coz, I saw no fishing line anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom