Packing for first dive trip -- what am we missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An unlocked cell phone - buy a local sim card & check prepaid plans for calling family & friends back home. (Someone else may be able to chime in to suggest a provider in Mexico, when we were in Jamaica my wife got a package through Claro that provided 1000min to North America for about $15.00, Microcel had a 7 day prepaid Blackberry plan for about $5.00)

Hangers to dry your gear between dives.
Food for the plane and snacks (nuts, raisins, etc.)

I'm leaving for Aruba in 4 weeks and I appreciate the great ideas here. I do apply many that were mentioned but some great ideas here. My 2 cents. I was taught by my DM that Palmolive is a great anti fog. Inexpensive and you can get small bottles. I put it in smaller lens cleaner bottles and stick them everywhere.

I see that someone mentioned the DryEar Sahara above. I had heard about that from a surfer too, so I clicked on the link and am checking it out.

What I have been using is a homemade ear cleaning solution (recommended by doctors though, meaning that I didn't just come up with the idea out of the clear blue sky). I mix white vinegar and pharmacy-type alcohol 50:50 and keep it in a dropper bottle. After each dive or snorkel I "do my ears" by filling each one up and keeping the solution in for 5 minutes. It's become a nice, peaceful 10-minute ritual :)

I have recently read that one might consider putting a drop or two of olive or mineral oil in each ear pre-drive, because the solution can be drying, but I haven't done that yet (nor have I had any obvious problems with drying).

Of course I don't know if I would have got any ear infection(s) without using the solution, but with it things have been A-okay. This included periods of time where I was snorkeling on a daily basis for a month or more in the tropics.

I'm just adding it here because it's something I carry with me (of course the ingredients are readily available as well; I just like my dropper bottle, and it's reasonably small for packing).

B.

Hello Iavachickie,

below is a dive kit check list. No matter how many times I go diving I always check it off whilst I pack. Of course you do not have to take everything, this is just a reminder what you might have to take.

I assume that you will be flying. If that is the case pack your regulator (the regulator is your life line to the air and they do not like it to be squashed), dive computer, dive log, dive certification, torch and battery into your hand luggage. Because if your luggage shoulg not arrive than at least you still have the essentials in your hand luggage to continue with your dive holiday. Also the airlines like it when you take out the light bulb of the torch.

As it was mentioned above take some spare kit with you, like o-rings, mask straps, fin straps, spare batteries and anything else you might need.

And I think you might have done that already but I flew to the Maldives with a dive group and one person did not check for the expiry date on their passport. And as luck would have it, the passport was expiered and the person had to fly out the next day.

Have a great time on your holdiay and enjoy yourself.

1. Diving Equipment
Item
Diving Suit
Under Suit (if applicable)
Gloves
Boots
Hood
Fins
Mask
Snorkel
Watch
Dive Computer or Tables
Compass
Gauges (depth & pressure)
Regulator
Log book, Qualification Card
BC
Weight Belt & Weights - Local
(more for salt water!)
Knife
Strobe Light
Whistle/Horn
Bathing Suit
Towel
Torch
Backup Torch

2. Optional Items
Item Checked Packed
Slate & Pencil
Flares (personal)
Light Stick(s)
Goody Bag
Camera
Line Cutter
Buddy Line
SMB, Reel & Flag
Delayed SMB & Line

3. Personal
Item Checked Packed
Suntan Lotion
Soap and Shampoo
Diarrhea Pills ( just in case)
Sunglasses
Seasickness Pills
Food / Snacks / Drinks
Money
Windproof Jacket

4. Spares
Item Checked Packed
Tool Kit
Mask Strap
Fin Strap
Cylinder O-Rings
Weights (if diving local)
HP Hose
Batteries (torch and camera)
Aquasure (glue) & Black Witch
Flashlight Bulbs
Multi Tool

Cozumel's a great place to go, because there is SO much diving there that, if you forget anything or something breaks, you will be able to replace/rent/repair it. (Although looking for a simple brass and glass spg proved to be a bit of a challenge . . . but we found an spg of sorts, at last.) So you don't have to go overboard on the save-a-dive kit. I always carry DIN or tank o-rings, simply because they so often go bad or lost, and it's easier if I can put my hands on my own right away.

I really like having some kind of windbreaker on a boat. You get out of the water wet and the wind hits you, and you begin to chill. If you're diving with Aldora, they have these long, polarfleece lined parkas that are WONDERFUL. If not, a long Gortex jacket is light and very handy.

Most prescription medications are easily purchased in Mexico, except narcotics. So I don't take anti-nausea or antidiarrheals or antibiotics with me.

If you have time before you go, I'd highly recommend acquiring a DSMB and learning how to deploy it. Cozumel diving is drift diving and sometimes the currents are strong; if you get separated from the group, it's awfully nice to have an SMB to put up to help your ascent and to let the boat know where you are.

But above all, don't stress. One of my dive buddies, on our trip to Coz, had his luggage delayed by a day and half. Didn't stop him diving, though!

You might consider some chewable pepto tabs. It's no fun sitting out the second half of the week, if you know what I mean.

I think everything's been mentioned already.

I would just double stress what I feel are the most useful and forgotten things:

For the dives:
1) Dry bag or containers to keep dry items dry (ziplock bags are very useful)
2) Sunblock and hat - many dive boats don't have cover from the sun
3) Sidecutter - handy for trimming cable ties and doing basic running repairs
4) Spare cable ties - boats and diveshops usually have them but just in case
5) Spare O-rings - or even better, a save a dive kit
6) Cash in small denominations to tip crew

In general:
1) Stomach remedy - make sure they do not interfere with diving
2) First aid kit

Documents etc
1) INSURANCE DOCUMENTS!!! Both dive and travel, Make copies
2) Photocopies of passport

On the exposure protection:
I don't know what the water temperature would be there now, or what your personal cold tolerance is, but I wonder if a skin/1mm suit will be warm enough?

yup, I'm bettin' 'skin/1 mm' is gonna be a common newbie mistake from someone who has no idea the water's power to suck heat from the human body, especially with prolonged exposure.

Back
Top Bottom