Packing a Pelican 1650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resqsqurt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My husband and I just got in two Pelican 1650 cases for our gear. It seems that most people who have them have plenty of room. We've managed to get most everything in there except our suits, but it's pretty tight. Does anyone have any suggestions on packing the 1650s that maximizes the space? We have masks, fins, snorkels, BCD, etc in the cases. We know it's way too much to ask to fit our suits in there, but a little more room would be nice. Thanks in advance for your responses.

While those cases are very protective, be aware of some problems about using them.

#1 they are heavy! With international travel, weight is strictly enforced. Nowadays, if you are overweight, it may not be an option to pay the overweight, the bag may simply not get onboard the plane. In Australia, on the way to PNG, my dive bag was overweight by 1 kilo!!! the plane said to take something out or else......removal of a pair of socks and two books got the bag onboard. A heavy bag means gear that may have to be left behind.

#2 If you plan to go on a liveaboard, they will NOT like those bags. There is very little storage on these boats and they really appreciate bags that go flat and can be stacked.

These are just some considerations.......

i Agree with Allison, that travelng with a large pelican case can be very annoying, and the cases scream "STEAL ME". i would get a nice large well built rolling duffle.

Hate to add to the bad news. I have a 1650 and 1660 and havent used them in over two years. Causes way too much problems with TSA and the airlines as well...plus every thief knows it is either dive gear....weapons....or something of some value. And, I agree with the comment about the weight. An empty 1650 is half the travel weight allowed.

So......what to do.

I got a good heavy duty duffle bag style suitcase with wheels. I DID NOT buy a dive bag that had a STEAL ME dive symbole on it. Just a non descript duffle style. Then I went to Walmart or Lowes and got a plastic tupper ware like container and I put my gear in the large plastic container......the container goes into the duffle suitcase....and you dont have a clue whats in there and it is protected by the plastic box like container. I had to take the duffle case with me to ensure the plastic box fit but no problem. I also take two of the suitcase straps and put around the plastic box so there is no way the top can pop off.

It works like a charm. Wish you luck
rich

Use the Pelican case for camera gear when you need it otherwise the Pelican is a poor choice for a gear bag. When travelling carry on regs and mask and a few essentials and then everything else goes in a nondescript roller duffle bag. My wife and I have a couple bags we found for $45 and we can put everything in it plus the kitchen sink. International travel can either be a pain or not depends on how you approach it. We travel quite a bit and slide through airports without a hitch.
Also the Pelican makes a lousy "boat" bag for short trips, as was said no where to stow it and you certainly can't work out of the bag while diving.
I have 5 Pelicans but they are only used for camera/video/lights for which they are about the only choice, but as has been said, the weight is always a problem-M

I agree with the others. I am currently in the process of packing up all of my stuff. My Pelican Case is killing me...
I don't have a lot in there, all photo equip, yet it weighs over 70 lbs! I think it weighs over 30 lbs empty. Pain in the A**

As for your original question, i only use Pelican cases for photo stuff so can't be of help there.

I've got a couple of the 1650's that have been all over the world, though not so much in the past couple of years. They're tough, secure and easy to spot coming off the carousel - and they have their own built-in wheels so I save a few bucks by not having to rent those carts.

Packing them is a matter of go slowly and stuff gently. If you can't fit your gear into one of these monsters, you might reconsider your packing list. I know I do on most every trip...:wink:

The notion that they scream "steal me" seems anecdotal, at best. I know a number of folks that have them and I don't know anyone that has had theirs stolen. I've got a few hundred segments on mine and haven't had a problem yet. Lots of folks have had their suitcases broken into and in this day when TSA opens pretty much everything, it doesn't seem to much matter. I secure mine with some custom printed cable ties used to seal cargo boxes, perfect for letting me know if anyone has opened the box. Back when I was listening to all the anti-Pelican hysteria that seems to permeate the various dive boards, I did stencil my boxes with "Life Support Equipment" and a large red cross and a fake company name with my home address and phone number - and no dive flags or Cozumel stickers. I don't know if it deters thieves or not, but it gets some interesting looks when checking them in.

As to the weight issue, they can be a pain in the back as well as the keister, but thus far I've only rarely had to pay extra to haul them. Approach the counter with a friendly smile and a confident attitude and you'll find that lots of things go more smoothly. Inasmuch as I rarely sit in the back of the plane, especially on long flights, I might be the recipient of some special treatment, however. Cripes, I hope so for the extra fare...

Ahh to sit at the front...always a dream of mine. Makes life easier for weight limits and carry on.
Unfortunately i work full time in the dive industry so have to make due with cattle class...
I look forward to trying to use my out of date Elite points card to try to sneak more weight onto the plane next week. Otherwise with new weight fees i might as well just pay for that Business class fare...

Hey reefraff, my 1650 doesn't have wheels - when did they start doing that?

Also, I happen to like the back of the plane :)

TX101:
Hey reefraff, my 1650 doesn't have wheels - when did they start doing that?

Also, I happen to like the back of the plane :)
I don't know anything about a 1650 that doesn't have wheels - anything coulda been once upon a time, I suppose. I bought mine about four years ago and they definitely have wheels Pelican 1650 although the handle has changed somewhat since then.

As far as riding in the back of the plane, I've done my share of it. I like the party in the back better, at least on Friday afternoons heading back home, but my middle-aged, oversized, lazy butt likes the room up front - and the fact that I can bring a half a ton of gear on vacation and nobody bats an eye. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom