Packing a carryon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I’m going to dive Roatan in June and will have to Taca airlines. I’ve heard a lot of bad news about them loosing luggage. Out of curiosity, what do people here put in their carryons?

I always make sure that I take my camera equipment, regulator & computer as carry-on baggage. I also keep my malaria medication, if required for the trip, a spare set of underwear,my swimming costume and toothbrush. Anything else I can survive without for a couple of days.

Regulator, mask, bathing suit, toothbrush, change of underwear, C-card, passport, vouchers, tickets, driver's license, credit cards, money.
Rick

We're leaving in 10 days for our third trip to Roatan via TACA (Take A Chance Airlines). And to be honest, we haven't had any problems whatsoever with TACA. One reason, I think, is because we always get the non-stop flight from Houston to Roatan. The only horror stories I've heard are usually from folks flying to San Pedro Sula on the mainland, with a connecting flight to Roatan. At check-in you are asked to proclaim one bag per person as priority in case they have to choose which bag goes on your flight. Luggage usually doesn't get lost, just delayed up to 2 days.

With 2 #70 bags each allowed, we can pack our whole kit with no problems, although 2 gears bags and 1 bag for clothes is all we take. In fact, I prefer TACA over Continental any day! Stewards are nicer, food is better, and planes are bigger...at least so far!

Carry-ons have a #20 limit, but you are also allowed a 2nd carry-on..."coat, briefcase,purse, laptop computer, or other similarily size item". In my carry-on back-pak I take dive computer, RX mask, regs, medications, toothbrush, bathing suit, logbook, c-cards. Passport, tickets and vouchers, money, pens and small notebook go in a 'fanny pak'. My Pelican camera case is my second carry-on.

For Taca to Roatan I pack in a regulation size carryon the following: Regulator, B.C.(packable type), computer, dive skin, mask, booties, men's dittybag, two t shirts, one pair of shorts, underware and shorty p.j's. All I will need is a pair of fins ! I too have heard of Taca's baggage problems. The Professor

Back
Top Bottom