Package Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chelsie06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Finally buying my own package. I dive in South Florida and frequently travel over to the Bahamas. Looking at the following packages and just wanted input on the overall best buy for price and best equipment. I am female and Leisure Pro recommended a female cut BCD, but the reviews (although good overall) keep commenting about the poor craftsmanship on the first package.

1. Genesis Womens Package #5 Genesis Package #5, this is one with the BCD that got good reviews, but poor craftmanship notes

2. Cressi from LeisurePro.com open water&Hit=1 I have Cressi mask, fins, etc. and like the brand so far. It's the Cressi Open Water Package, can't seem to make the link work right

3. Scubapro Ladies System Package @ Divers-Supply.com Scuba Pro

Let me know your thoughts, which package I should get and if I should change anything on the packages. Thanks for your input everyone!

I think either of those packages would work great, plus everything comes with a full warranty so if there are any craftsmanship issues, those would be covered. We can also put together custom packages at deeply discounted prices, but you'd either need to call (1-888-805-3600), email (info@leisurepro.com) or use the "Chat with a Dive Expert" feature on any of our product pages. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there are any other ways I can help.

It's difficult to determine the most likely choice of gear that would suit your needs without knowing what type of diving you'll be doing and where you're looking into progressing.

Let me know several things and I'm sure people will start commenting on what they think will suit you best. There is no right answer, it's all strictly opinion based on our own experiences.
So:
- What type of diving will you be progressing towards (recreational/tech, photography, hunting[fish or bug])
- Where will you be diving mainly and where might you be going? (water temp, exposure protection)
- How much weight and what tanks will you mainly be using

It'll be easier to suggest a personalized option with these tid-bits of info at least.

I'm not familiar with any of that gear, except some of the ScubaPro stuff, but that link isn't really a "package", in the sense of a group of items a shop has put together and then discounted. But I will comment on packages in general -- there will usually be a couple of things in one that you might actually WANT, and a couple of things that either don't sell well or have extremely high profit margins (or both) that the shop is hoping you'll buy because they made it part of a "package". Always check what you can get the items for as individual purchases, both at that site and at other sites, because unless the deal is very good, it may not be worth your while to settle for the suboptimal pieces of a package.

Dive gear is like the equipment for any other sport that people get passionately involved with . . . ask ten people, you'll get eleven answers as to what the "best" gear is. I wouldn't buy any of those packages, because to me, there's too much likelihood that, six months and some active diving from now, you'll be rethinking some of those decisions. For a quick example, I personally loathe consoles -- having my computer on my wrist has so many advantages to me that I would never give that up.

But, that said, most dive gear works and will get you in the water. Make sure your BC fits snugly, because an unstable tank can make diving not much fun, especially for a beginner.

It doesn't appear that that Genesis Yukon model is a balanced 1st Stage so it may breathe harder at depth. It's hard to tell though - even on the Genesis website they don't say. It seems to be more of an entry level/rental grade product.

I like the ScubaPro package, it's more money but solid gear that you'll be able to get serviced anywhere. I almost bought a Litehawk myself - I think it's a good product for the money. And it's a travel bc since you mentioned flying to the Bahamas frequently. Add an inexpensive computer like a Suunto Zoop or Oceanic Veo NX and you're set for a while.

Another option for $975 is this one: Womens Zeagle Zena Package Nice thing about it is it includes a computer. Same reg as the LP Cressi pkg also, different octo. The slight advantage the Mares Octo has is it's a side exhaust so you can hand it to the other diver and it will work on either side of you. For $50 you can add a compass to the back of the console also.

They also have this one for $875 - Ladies Travel Package - Oceanic - includes the Ladies Oceanic Biolite Travel BC but the reg is an Edge. It's the rec. version of Hog regs. that are talked about frequently and positively here but ensure you have a dealer nearby for service. In SoFl you probably do. Add the $69 for the NX computer upgrade, if you don't dive Nitrox already you probably will.

Scubatoys is a licensed dealer for everything they sell and they ship fast. I buy from them regularly. If you see something else you like or want other suggestions call them. Sometimes dealers like them can offer you a better deal than they can advertise online due to their dealer agreements.

IDK anything about Cressi gear so can't comment on the other pkg.

Recreational, some bug hunting. I mainly dive South Florida & frequent the Bahamas, so 85 degree weather most of the time. 65 at the lowest and I wear a 4/3 at those times (maybe two months max out of the year). With no suit, I use 8lbs of weight. Generally aluminum tanks, but my main dive site in the Bahamas uses steel. Thanks so much for the input already everyone!

It's difficult to determine the most likely choice of gear that would suit your needs without knowing what type of diving you'll be doing and where you're looking into progressing.

Let me know several things and I'm sure people will start commenting on what they think will suit you best. There is no right answer, it's all strictly opinion based on our own experiences.
So:
- What type of diving will you be progressing towards (recreational/tech, photography, hunting[fish or bug])
- Where will you be diving mainly and where might you be going? (water temp, exposure protection)
- How much weight and what tanks will you mainly be using

It'll be easier to suggest a personalized option with these tid-bits of info at least.

---------- Post Merged at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:07 PM ----------

thanks, I will definitely check these out! Very excited to get my own gear finally :)
It doesn't appear that that Genesis Yukon model is a balanced 1st Stage so it may breathe harder at depth. It's hard to tell though - even on the Genesis website they don't say. It seems to be more of an entry level/rental grade product.

I like the ScubaPro package, it's more money but solid gear that you'll be able to get serviced anywhere. I almost bought a Litehawk myself - I think it's a good product for the money. And it's a travel bc since you mentioned flying to the Bahamas frequently. Add an inexpensive computer like a Suunto Zoop or Oceanic Veo NX and you're set for a while.

Another option for $975 is this one: Womens Zeagle Zena Package Nice thing about it is it includes a computer. Same reg as the LP Cressi pkg also, different octo. The slight advantage the Mares Octo has is it's a side exhaust so you can hand it to the other diver and it will work on either side of you. For $50 you can add a compass to the back of the console also.

They also have this one for $875 - Ladies Travel Package - Oceanic - includes the Ladies Oceanic Biolite Travel BC but the reg is an Edge. It's the rec. version of Hog regs. that are talked about frequently and positively here but ensure you have a dealer nearby for service. In SoFl you probably do. Add the $69 for the NX computer upgrade, if you don't dive Nitrox already you probably will.

Scubatoys is a licensed dealer for everything they sell and they ship fast. I buy from them regularly. If you see something else you like or want other suggestions call them. Sometimes dealers like them can offer you a better deal than they can advertise online due to their dealer agreements.

IDK anything about Cressi gear so can't comment on the other pkg.

I find it interesting that you "dive" in South Florida, but haven't mentioned going into a SINGLE dive shop (tons of them around), and actually touch, feel and try something on. You should be looking at VALUE, SERVICE, and purchasing from an AUTHORIZED RESELLER, not price. Dive shops CAN ALWAYS price match, if you push them. No, I'm not a shop owner or Manufacturers Rep. Just my 2 cents.

Recreational, some bug hunting. I mainly dive South Florida & frequent the Bahamas, so 85 degree weather most of the time. 65 at the lowest and I wear a 4/3 at those times (maybe two months max out of the year). With no suit, I use 8lbs of weight. Generally aluminum tanks, but my main dive site in the Bahamas uses steel. Thanks so much for the input already everyone!

First off, I believe you're really limiting yourself by only looking at gear packages. It be better in the long run to really think each piece of gear through and select your pick. Buying from an LDS will mean having a definite home shop that can service/repair your gear. There are also small unadvertised perks, such as a dive community, free food, friends working in a dive shop (assuming you frequent it and chat up the employees/get along with them). So don't forget to look into a local option.
And if you must buy online, Leisurepro did offer to customize a package for you.

In any case, from your response I think you should look into a console or very low profile wrist computer. When bug hunting I have heard that wrist gauges can get your hand jammed stuck in a crevice which is the last thing you want. It's also a fine way to damage your shiny computer.
You can always clip your wrist gauge to your BC when bug hunting and that would solve that issue. It depends what config you're most comfortable in. I personally like wrist gauges, easier to see on the fly.

Weighting wise I don't think you'll need a BC with a tremendous amount of lift. Unless you're getting a Bp/W, you won't really have to pay attention to lift capacity too much. Pretty much all stock BC's you run across will have adequate (and even excessive) amounts of lift for your needs.
With stock BC's the bladder is usually bundled nice and clean to the backpad so if you don't use all the lift capacity your bladder has underwater, it won't really effect your profile. With a Bp/W having a large wing means having loose fabric flap and taco around your tank when you're not using it; this can create stability and drag issues underwater.

You'll want a balanced first stage on your reg, it makes breathing consistent throughout your dive. Where as a unbalanced first stage requires a bit more effort to breath when you're getting low on air.

Balanced and unbalanced second stages aren't really a big issue IMO. Balanced can deliver a lot of air easily if you really need to breath a lot of air while under stress. Unbalanced can perform a bit subpar if you're in this state. I don't see you chasing after fish, and even if you do get into spear fishing you don't really want to chase fish. (ambushing is a lot easier). So don't wrap your head around I must get a balanced second stage.

With computers, you may want to get one that's nitrox compatible if you ever think about getting a nitrox cert. There's also the option of air integration which is discussed more than enough on this forum. Just google "site: scubaboard.com air integration"

As for your gear package choices:
I think the Scubapro package would be the best option as you can get the Litehawk BC which will keep your frontside very open and unencumbered. This will aid a lot when you go bug hunting; easier to squeeze into tight spaces. Since it's a very small materials BC it should pack very well for travel.
It is a backinflate BC with a lot of lift, so you'll need to practice putting inflator input without feeling the usual jacket squeeze. When you're at the surface you'll also need to practice not overinflating it all the way, otherwise it will feel as if someone is trying to push your body face first in the water.

The Litehawk BC can accept weight integration pockets from any Bp/W manufacturer like Oxycheq, Halcyon, OMS, Diverite, Zeagle, etc etc. Scubapro even makes accessory weight integrated pockets designed specifically for the Litehawk. What this means is you're not stuck with buying expensive brand replacements, should you decide you want them or require a replacement.

The Galileo Computers in the package are more than you'll ever need, so you can opt to get gauges and buy a computer separately. The Aladin computer is a nice choice, but the interface is notorious for having a hard learning curve. Reading the manual doesn't really help either. And once again, wrist gauges may not be the best choice for bug hunting.
With Gauges, you'll need a timing device and tables to plan your dive off of; so might as well spend the money buying a cheap computer.

The regulator and octo I'll let you look into yourself on the Scubapro website.
_____
I'm not overly familiar with Genesis and Cressi gear, but here's my opinion anyways.

The Genesis package, I can't tell if the regulator is a balance first stage. Genesis is pretty much the same gear as Sherwood, and I believe they share the same parts kit. It's fairly popular with rental fleets, so servicing shouldn't be a problem, even overseas. But like you said, there were some negative reviews.

Cressi is less popular, so finding a shop to perform a quick repair and even annual service may be an issue, even around your area. The BC looks pretty bulky and wouldn't be the best for travel out of your 3 package choices.

Packages are offered because some people will go for the convenience and perceived value. I'm not fond of packages as they're so unlikely to happen to have what you would have chosen otherwise. I think it's much better to figure out what you really want for each piece of gear, then maybe see what kind of deal someplace can offer you. This can all be challenging for a new diver to figure out, but it sounds like you have a bit of experience now and would have developed some preferences. For example 2 of those packages have jacket BCs, and the Scubapro Litehawk and Ladyhawk are back-inflate. You should be deciding which style of BC you want, and finding out which specific models fit best, and figuring out which has the features you want - not getting what comes with a package or even picking from limited options in a package.

You mention having Cressi gear that you like. Note that many manufacturers tend to be better at some things that others, and having a mask and fins you like from one brand is no reason to buy (or not buy) other gear from the same brand. Look around, especially at people that have been diving awhile, you'll usually note that their gear is a mix of brands. Brand is something to take into consideration in the purchase of a regulator - you'll probably want something you can serviced easily locally, and different brands have different policies on service you may care about later. But I think picking all your gear from a list limited to one manufacturer as these packages are is a Bad Idea.

When a package is really inexpensive and all someone can afford, and it gets them in the water and not renting, it pays itself back quickly. So it doesn't matter too much if they soon want to replace things - they're already ahead of the game. But it doesn't sound like that's where you're at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom