P-Valve Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am sure this was beat to death but no one has ever really talked about issues if any or really stated which one works best for them. I just got the drysuit and the MN lakes are cold and notice after dives I really have to go bad. I am a little nervous on the P-valve thing so need opinions on what works and what does not work. I am looking for experience and knowledge.
From what I read so far Balenced is the way to go, but which one ?
Would like to to keep as streamline as possible.
Do NOT want leaks or anything coming the wrong way down the pipe :)
Where do these mount in the suit ?
Can you dive with them not hooked up is there a shut off etc or one way valve ?
How hard is it to disconnect or connect downing or offing the suit ?

Sorry real nob newbie here. thanks in advance.

I am sure this was beat to death but no one has ever really talked about issues if any or really stated which one works best for them. I just got the drysuit and the MN lakes are cold and notice after dives I really have to go bad. I am a little nervous on the P-valve thing so need opinions on what works and what does not work. I am looking for experience and knowledge.
Where do these mount in the suit ?

Sorry real nob newbie here. thanks in advance.

Several good suppliers and I went with a Dive Rite balanced valve. Did the mounting myself and have had no problems.

I mounted mine on my left thigh about halfway between my knee and hip facing slightly inward. Comes with about a 12 inch hose. Cath condoms work great and I ordered a lot of 100 to save a little money.

It's a one way valve so no water will flow into your suit if you are not hooked up.

EX2744EQ (EX2744EQ) Relief Valve - Delrin Body - Balanced
Price $168.00

Or for about $10 you could make your own that works just as good as anything you can buy.

DIY P-valve plans

I have been diving with the unbalanced version for several years. Never had a problem. It's my opinion that the unbalanced are better since there's less places for bacteria to grow. It's pretty straight forward to clean the unbalanced ones. YMMV.

Hunter

Or for about $10 you could make your own that works just as good as anything you can buy.

DIY P-valve plans

I have been diving with the unbalanced version for several years. Never had a problem. It's my opinion that the unbalanced are better since there's less places for bacteria to grow. It's pretty straight forward to clean the unbalanced ones. YMMV.

Hunter

Thanks !!!

I just quoted out almost all of the items in about 30 minutes. This should be a simple installation.

I'm going to put this together (balanced version) and give it a shot.

What's the best way to cut the access port through the suit? I'm assuming a hole punch?

Thanks !!!

I just quoted out almost all of the items in about 30 minutes. This should be a simple installation.

I'm going to put this together (balanced version) and give it a shot.

What's the best way to cut the access port through the suit? I'm assuming a hole punch?

From searches here on a Tri lam suit it has been found that a heated with propane or Mepps copper pipe, 38 or 45 shell casing works really well. People have held the copper with vice grips heated it with torch then hammer the hot pipe or casing through using a hammer and block of wood. Some have also used a soildering iron to make the hole, others used a punch.

If you get balanced p-valve you are going to get some leakage, no avoiding the problem unless you go unbalanced.

Yes, just screw the cap down tightly. If you have a quick-disconnect with a valve where the hose connects to the condom catheter, it will provide another barrier to water entry.

Deco Stop has some nice threads on p-valves, including some quick disconnects from McMaster-Carr and condom catheters to make the whole process easier.

I just found this. The price sort of makes trying to build it myself unnecessary.

The Eliminator P-Valve

At $45 for balanced, $30 for unbalanced, and $6 shipping it is hard to beat.

If I get the balanced and change my mind the conversion is simple.

When I bought my drysuit, the Owner of the LDS gave me two options, one was a P-valve, which he reccomended not to do. The other option was to buy a package of depends, and you go about it that way. I personally can hold myself untill the end of a dive, but when the time comes I would go the route of depends, over a p-valve.

huggies or pampers rather than depends. depends use fluff that suit squeeze will squish the pee back out of. pampers use gel beads that hold onto the pee. fold the edges back & stuff it near where you need it & go s-l-o-w.

but did he say why no p-valve? once i got the hang of it, no worries...

Back
Top Bottom