P valve hose size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im building my own p-valve. I’m having issues finding what the hose dimensions are, and the measurement of the male to male (hose to condom) fitting. Does anyone have this information?

Ok, like in Gullivers Travels? .......where are the Lilliputions when you actually NEED them?

I think 1/4” is the barbed fitting size.

The barbed end is the side that goes into the condom correct? Does the smaller hose cause a restriction when relieving yourself? I would think the hose should be the same size as the end that fits into the condom.

the smaller size goes into the condom for that one.

1/4" seems to be the standard size in the US though some use 3/8", doesn't really matter. I use 3/8" and 3/8" barbs on everything though it makes the condoms a PITA to get off at the end of the day. Europe uses 1/8" for some reason. Your urethra is ~1/4" so no need to go any bigger.

For the hose, use 1/4" or 3/8" Norprene hose
For the quick disconnects, I use Colder PLCD series acetal shutoffs which are what the manufacturers sell.
I use female on the suit side, and male on the cath. I use shutoffs on both sides and carry a spare female straight thru so I can go topside since some urine seems to stay in the condom after you disconnect. Most use a straight-thru on the condom side, and a shutoff on the suit though. Advantage of the shutoff on the suit though is that you don't need the ability to shut the p-valve off when not plugged in

Re Norprene, you can also use gas line (in a pinch) which is available everywhere, Lowes etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom