P-Valve, care & use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know when you try it, and definitely post a link to the stuff. A guy I was diving with a while back had a hose that went up around his neck and then back down for his p-valve, but it was this super light, transparent hosing. VERY flexible. Gross idea, but w/e.

A buddy has gotten rid of the majority of his Norprene tube and is using a straight shot from his "plumbing" to his p-valve with the Norprene tube straight up and his "plumbing" straight down.

I used my tube on one dive so far with success. The tube I have is the 1/4 inch version of

Sterile Non-Conductive Suction Tubing | Medline Industries, Inc.

I cut a piece to replace the Norprene on my Halcyon valve. The quarter inch ID fits tight so you have to use some silicone oil or grease to get it onto the plastic fittings. Also I cut almost half of the tube part of the Rochester wide band catheter, as this is a potential kink point. I used the up method with the tubing entering from above the waist band of underwear. The tubing is generously long. So far on one dive it worked great and I gave a piece of the tubing for my dive buddy to try.

Back to the routing question, I have boiled my kinking/backpressure issues down to the waistband of my base layer that seems to slip down and pinch off the condom cath tip. So, there are a few ways to fix this problem, but any suggestions from folks would be helpful. So far I've had about a dozen drysuit dives and only one "successful" underwater pee (surface generally doesn't seem to be an issue), and it's quickly becoming a painful and annoying process.

Suspenders seem like they should work here...

Does any one use chlorohexidine to clean your oee vavle
Chlorhexidine often dries to leave a crystalline deposit if you use a balanced pvalve it will definitely cause issues with the duck bill valve.

Has anyone tried StarSan (commonly used in home brewing) as a sanitizer?

Back to the routing question, I have boiled my kinking/backpressure issues down to the waistband of my base layer that seems to slip down and pinch off the condom cath tip. So, there are a few ways to fix this problem, but any suggestions from folks would be helpful. So far I've had about a dozen drysuit dives and only one "successful" underwater pee (surface generally doesn't seem to be an issue), and it's quickly becoming a painful and annoying process.

It really helps to prime the tube on the surface, where resistance is least. That should help with the back-pressure somewhat, since having the line filled with liquid will tend to ensure that any small kinks are forced out as soon as you start to pee.

It can be tricky to do when boat diving, since the captain probably won't appreciate having you soak his deck with urine. I get in the water and then close my suit vent all the way, then add a bunch of gas to the suit, and lie on my back. When diving from shore, just have at it, as you enter the water but before submerging the valve outlet. If people ask why you look so relaxed, just give them an unsettling smile and carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom