P-Valve backflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some feedback here, I have just had a Halcyon valve installed on my drysuit. I have used it 3 times now, it seems to work but the last 2 dives I am getting "cold" water coming in through the tubing? It is a balanced rig so that should not happen right?
It is not leaking in the suit, just making it uncomfortable for me as the catheter gets cold water in the end? meaning I have serious shrinking issues!!!
:dork2:

The valve shouldn't backflow, but I know mine does. I have learned to screw the cap down TIGHT when I am not using the valve, or I'll get wet eventually. It's a really simple mushroom valve, and I don't know what happens to make it leak, but it does.

I don't know. I have taken mine apart, and it's an extremely simple gadget. My suspicion is that the "flap" on the mushroom valve is so thin and flexible that it sometimes folds itself over or something. Whatever the leak is, it's sudden and it's big.

Looking for some feedback here, I have just had a Halcyon valve installed on my drysuit. I have used it 3 times now, it seems to work but the last 2 dives I am getting "cold" water coming in through the tubing? It is a balanced rig so that should not happen right?
It is not leaking in the suit, just making it uncomfortable for me as the catheter gets cold water in the end? meaning I have serious shrinking issues!!!
:dork2:

It's either clogged, damaged or the valve isn't sealing. You can try flushing a bunch of warm water through it and see if that fixes it. If not, someone will need to disassemble/clean/fix it.

flots.

Last edited:
Apparently the Halcyon check valves are serviceable (I don't really know anything about them, but a buddy has them and said he can remove the chamber and service it).

That said, it's easy to replace the check valves in a p-valve. I even bought an unbalanced one and made it into a balanced p-valve because it was an extra $2, versus and extra $40 or whatever. Buy some new check valves (they'll fail eventually so it's good to keep some on hand as needed) and swap the failing one out. That should eliminate any reverse flow.

Also, do make sure they've been installed the correct way. Assuming you've used the p-valve and not peed on yourself, it's likely installed the correct way, but it just failing...

I had it installed at a dive store, and yes it works fine, no leaks. Just a trickle of cold water coming up the hose. I spoke with the store and they are going to replace the rubber flap that stops water coming in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom