P.R. Shore Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone describe any shore diving sites in Puerto Rico? We may at some point go for a month and rent a car, so pretty much anywhere on the island. Looking for easy entry sites and fairly decent depths (15 feet plus, etc.). Thanks in advance.

you may find some information on this thread.. Puerto Rico
there is a list of shops that may provide shore dives

AE8A7F6E-337D-4184-8B10-5CD4DB6DD6A3.jpeg

1642014867388.png

West Cost - Cabo Rojo town

On the mainland Crash Boat beach is all I can recommend, but my wife and I dove about 8 to 10 times there in a month, and enjoyed every dive. Very short swim out from sandy beach and about 30 to 40 foot depth. Old sunken concrete pier with new coral growth and sea turtles on every dive. February 2021. You can use Google Maps to find it. Parking is cheap but get there early on holiday or weekends, popular with locals for nice beach.

Also El Natural is just north of crash boat and a different style dive. Can be shallow or deeper as desired, similar sea life to Crash Boat but never saw a turtle there. More spread out than Crash Boat so nice if you like to swim more. Small (very small) canyons to explore with fish in them.

If you go, talk to an LDS (PR Dive is only one I recommend) for info on currents when you plan to go. When we went Cris (at PR dive) told us to be done by 9am and he was right on — shortly after that the current switched from south to north (pushing us north) and made for a hard swim back, but we were close to the exit by then so was fine. I wouldn’t say it is dangerous, if you keep your head, just could be no fun if you had to land on shore north of the exit point and hike back on the rocky beach. It isn’t so far north that you would miss the entire island if you swam cross current to the beach.

Back
Top Bottom