Oxygen Toxicity risk with Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose computer alarms might help too, but I would rather not hope I hear something when excited and buzzed.
I can't hear alarms. The only way I know mine is going off is if I look up and see everybody looking at me. I DO like vibration alarms.

I have no idea who that operator was or what their procedures were. They were sloppy/dangerous about mix and depth; they could also be sloppy about going into deco. We do not know.

My point is that suggesting you dive a lighter nitrox is good, but suggesting you go into deco is probably not good. Just accept less NDL. Or, don't dive so deep.
I misunderstood... I thought you were saying that this LOB would penalize you for deco. You were just making a blanket statement about most LOB's.

I misunderstood... I thought you were saying that this LOB would penalize you for deco. You were just making a blanket statement about most LOB's.
Correct.

@tursiops are liveaboards usually forbidding deco?

Is that because they consider it too dangerous or maybe it’s easier to manage NDL dives in a mixed group?

@tursiops are liveaboards usually forbidding deco?
I've never been on one -- other than a technical charter -- that allowed deco. One even looked at your computer when you came on board. This covers multiple brands in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Eastern and Western and Southern Pacific, Australia, Red Sea, Maldives, Philippines, Indonesia, Antarctica. I've never been on a liveaboard in the UK or the Mediterranean.

If the plan was to go to 36.6m for whatever time and then someone arbitrarily decides to go to 42m instead, I'd be more worried about having enough gas to complete the dive than oxygen toxicity. What was the plan for the 42m dive?

If the plan was to go to 36.6m for whatever time and then someone arbitrarily decides to go to 42m instead, I'd be more worried about having enough gas to complete the dive than oxygen toxicity. What was the plan for the 42m dive?
LOL. If it was like most "let's go look for hammerheads" dives there was no plan other than, "Let's go into the blue, as deep as we dare, for as long as we can, then ascend. Don't forget your safety stop."

LOL. If it was like most "let's go look for hammerheads" dive there was no plan other than, "Let's go into the blue, as deep as we dare, for as long as we can, then ascend. Don't forget your safety stop."
LOL.. I was just typing the same thing... there was no plan except for the MOD... for which was blown past... no plan at all!!

Edit: the best thing I've ever done for myself in my diving is learn to plan a dive... sure you can go off the reservation a littl.. but without a plan how far do you know you can go?

I can't hear alarms. The only way I know mine is going off is if I look up and see everybody looking at me. I DO like vibration alarms.
I have all my alarms silenced, audible and vibratory. My only alarms are visual, I pay attention to my computers.

I only have 200 LOB dives in the Florida Keys, Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Cayman Islands, Revillagigedos, Malpelo, Bahamas, and Belize. All of these trips were set up as recreational trips/no deco. I don't believe I ever went into deco on these dives. That said, nobody ever checked my computers. It would have been obvious on a group ascent if anybody had deco time at the SS. It was quite clear on several occasions that divers were approaching NDL on their computers. They would start riding higher or surfaced early. I often spoke to these divers, most had RGBM computers, Cressi, Mares, and Suunto, but some had computers running PZ+ or Bulhlmann at a low GF high.

I'm pretty sure that I have transiently broke MOD on at least a few dives. I believe I understand O2 toxicity reasonably well and was willing to take this risk. One of my computers runs NOAA 24 hour cliff vesting for O2 exposure and the other uses the 90 min half life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom