Oxygen Solenoid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure a solenoid valve is what your after unless your going to be running a fully automated system. Most home setups I have seen the O2 comes off a regulator and then a needle valve is used to throttle the O2 flow up or down to the mixing stick to achieve the desired mix.

Have the compressor running and bleeding off with a nitrox analyzer inline. Slowly crack the O2 and bring it gently up to the target mix. Close the bleed off and open the valve to the tank. This would not be a walk away system. If your looking for something you can walk away from, yes, you will need solenoids as well as other process control equipment.

The Oxy hackers guide should cover it all fairly well.

It doesn't say what the working pressure is??????

tb

Yeah that was my concern, it doesn't show the workign pressure. I was hoping someone had either used one or knew a better choiec.

I'm looking for the solenoid to shut off oxygen if the compressor shuts down. It likely will never be used as I'll be standing there the whole time, but I like the safety factor to guard against shooting pure O2 into my compressor and it restart on its own.

I recognise the valve it's a Burkert from over our neck of the woods in Europe.

Here you go with the web site:

Neutral gaseous media - Bürkert Fluid Control Systems

Not knowing the size of your compressor or the oxygen percentage you require or indeed if your compressor is suitable for elevated oxygen concentrations but IMHO 1/8" NPT and eighth orifice is much too small, unless the oxygen pressure is much too high.

Personally if you have to ask these sorts of questions, to need to know the answer before working on this type of project, asking others don't help you much, and not nearly enough as you need.

How do you plan to wire it in? If your motor goes out on thermal overload during the summer, what's going to cycle the O2 off?

It was recommended by a compressor guy I'm working with to wire into the hourmeter. He and I will be speaking further on the matter, but that's his typical way of doing it, and from what I was told the same way a popular high volume shop does it in the cave country area.

Personally if you have to ask these sorts of questions, to need to know the answer before working on this type of project, asking others don't help you much, and not nearly enough as you need.

I don't know if that comment was meant to be as douchey as it sounded, but frankly I was simply asking for the opinions of others that may have used one. I am not a fan of the 1/8 NPT fitting sizes and was hoping someone would have a link to one that is 1/4 NPT. It's not like I can run up the road and just grab one and look at it in my hand, I have to assess what I can find online.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your comment, but as I read it your suggesting by asking a simple question I don't know enough to be worthy to set up a continuous blending system at home. I happily accept the opinions of others, but always with a grain of salt and simply to add to my knowledge base. If my interpretation is correct, then do my a favor and just not respond to my questions in the future. Again if I misinterpreteed I apologize for the language/internet barrier of confusion.

My O2 doesnt stay steady through the fillcycle, so I dont have any shutoff. No need, as I constantly monitor it.

the o2 solinoid is powered from the power line that goes from the motor comtrol relay to the motor. if the motor looses power the gas solonoind shuts. the o2 in the blending stick is not so much a big deals as the o2 tank bleading out to the atmosphere through the stick. you know when you answer the phone and while on the phone to the wife the comp hits 3000 psi and shuts off and you forget about it and go to the store to get something for her..

How do you plan to wire it in? If your motor goes out on thermal overload during the summer, what's going to cycle the O2 off?

One small addition, you need a magnetic starter on the compressor to be completely effective, which not all small horsepower/single phase compressors come with. A motor can stop spinning, cool off, and start spinning again without losing power. Meanwhile a big slug of oxygen fills your mixing chamber and gets sucked into the compressor.

Back
Top Bottom