Oxygen Rich Water Warning (color me a skeptic)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Someone just gave me a bottle of oxygen rich water (whatever that means) and warned me not to go diving after I drink it.

Right.

What say you science/medical experts?

This was fun when we did it. I loved putting water through the blood gas machine. :D

Hampson, NB; Pollock, NW; Piantadosi, CA. "OXYGENATED" WATER FOR EXERCISE ENHANCEMENT: IS IT AND DOES IT? 2003 UHMS meeting abstract. RRR ID: 1276

Some of us caught wind of such products and there were two immediate rebuttals: 1) Such ingested O2 would be absorbed into the venous system which will pass through the lungs anyway before reaching the nourishing arterial circuit. 2) Arterial hemoglobin is already typically up around 98% saturated and so additional O2, bound to the existing quantity of hemoglobin, would be of small benefit.

So what's it's compound?? H206?

Water made from ozone?

Just kidding . . .

the K

I don't know anything about so-called "oxygen rich water", but if I did the math right, a liter of room temperature 1 ata water saturates with about a cubic inch of air. Gene's Rubicon paper found a max of about 5 cu. in (supersaturated?). That's what, a slightly deeper than usual breath?

Oxygen rich water means that they're selling water that will make them rich. Heck, it's already "dihydro-oxide."

What a crock.

The "Oxygen Therapy and Oral Oxygen Therapy" section where they attempt to justify the manufacture and use of such a product is laughable (and beyond).

Thanks for posting this, Timoblue.

Regards,

DocVikingo

What a crock.
Okay, here is what I just got emailed. Listen to this"

I was given a gallon last year to try. Tasted a bit funny but I noticed zero difference. Used the remaining 1/2 gallon to water the plants. Don't think they noticed any increased energy either.

Back
Top Bottom