Oxygen cleaning manifolds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium

Reaction score
Is it easy to DIY, or is this something a professional should do? What's required aside from replacing current tank and double barrel o-rings with viton ones, and adding appropriate lubrication (christolube?)?

It's not rocket science but IMO you should take the class before doing it. At least spend some time working with someone who has experience in O2 cleaning. There is also some good reading material out there. Doing a search on this site will point you to some.

Thanks, Mike. There was a discrepancy between the webpage, which stated they were 02 cleaned, and the catalog, which stated 02 cleaning was an option at additional cost. I spoke with the dealer this morning, and now believe the manifold is 02-ready.

The barrel and tank o-rings are brownish-reddish or bronze colored, instead of black. That means they're viton, and therefore 02-compatible, doesn't it?

Viton o-rings are usually brown rather than black. You need to take care in handling the manifold or it may not stay o2 clean. Avoid any type of organic or patrolium based contamination. Work in a clean area and wearing gloves (surgical) is a good idea if you need to handle parts that will come in contact with o2. What brand manifold do you have? some come o2 serviced and some do not.

Metridium, you are fortunate in buying a new valve which is O2 clean. Otherwise, cleaning a used valve is not rocket science as USD's lawyers and the CGA would have you believe, but it's not quite a cakewalk either. Oh, you don't need a "clean" room, special gloves and a chef's hat, but you do have to somehow clean the gunk out of the valve parts, and replace the O rings with exact replacements made from Viton or equivalent.

A tank can be filled with detergent and glass marbles, and rolled on the lawn, then rinsed and air dried. A valve is totally different and unless you are doing several valves the hassle may not be worth it. Detergents like Joy or Simple Green are nearly useless in removing some greases, like silicone, from valves. The problem is that you cannot easily reach the internal parts with a brush or pipecleaner. Silicone laughs at attempts to soak in hot water and soap. You will notice this when you attempt to wash the stuff off your hands.

If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, the valve and valve parts must be soaked in a solvent. The very best solvent for this purpose is trichloroethane. Soaking for one minute will remove every trace of silicone, or any kind of grease. Unfortunately, trichlor is getting hard to find so a substitute may be needed. (See what I mean about a hassle?)--- Special O rings, now special sovent. That's not all. Some plastics may degrade in a solvent bath. If possible, these should be scrubbed in a water detergent bath unless you have pretested the plastic. Oh yes, you will need some expensive O2 grease like krytox or equivalent. The good news is that once you have gathered all the materials, completely disassembled the valve, the actual cleaning, rinsing and air drying takes about two minutes.

Here is an example of an alternative solvent advertised as O2 safe:

http://www.ensolv.com/

As I say, you are lucky.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Viton o-rings are usually brown rather than black. You need to take care in handling the manifold or it may not stay o2 clean. Avoid any type of organic or patrolium based contamination. Work in a clean area and wearing gloves (surgical) is a good idea if you need to handle parts that will come in contact with o2. What brand manifold do you have? some come o2 serviced and some do not.
It's a SeaElite manifold. I have taken it apart a couple times, but haven't touched the o-rings, as far as I know.

Devjr, thanks for explaining how it all works. I'll keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom