Oxygen Cell Splitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HandsomeYoungPete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am adding a Nerd 2 to my KISS Sidekick so I will need to add splitters to the sensor outputs, I notice some are quite simply a Molex female with two Molex males wired up and some advertise the addition of an isolator, does anyone know what the isolator consists of?

Iirc a resistor to avoid a short from one computer migrating to the other one. The old Revo ones used an in line resistor, I think Mike/KISS splitters have it on a small board. I’ve had inconsistent experiences with the N@90 ones, had a set of KISS ones for a short while, then ended up having a single piece circuit board put into my sidewinder. I can’t recall if there’s space for one in the sidekick head, so you might be stuck w standard splitters.

Iirc a resistor to avoid a short from one computer migrating to the other one. The old Revo ones used an in line resistor, I think Mike/KISS splitters have it on a small board. I’ve had inconsistent experiences with the N@90 ones, had a set of KISS ones for a short while, then ended up having a single piece circuit board put into my sidewinder. I can’t recall if there’s space for one in the sidekick head, so you might be stuck w standard splitters.
Thanks, any chance you could measure the resistance if you have one handy? presumably there would be one in each leg back to the computers as in the image below?
1658203029923.png

Unfortunately I’m no elec engineer and away from my unit for a few weeks. I want to say they’re 10K-ohm resistors on the positive leads towards the computer. I vaguely remember @Dsix36 tearing one apart a while back or there’s a chance KISS might actually inform you. @tbone1004 would be another option who has same/similar unit to you.

isolation boards are definitely required and if you have a Sidekick I would recommend the new KISS board which Lillestolen designed and works quite well.
You can DIY with 10k Ohm resistors but the board designed from KISS is going to be your best bet.

Personally I don't use dual monitors though as even with the isolation boards I don't have much faith in splitting the signal and getting reliable readings. It's one thing on a a digital system where the ADC handles isolation on the canbus but it's not something I personally prioritize *my eCCR's have dual monitors and I wouldn't have it any other way but on my Sidekick I personally don't use the splitters since the Divesoft Freedom has haptic feedback which gives the unit another way to get my attention instead of just flashing.

The 10k resistor splitter only protect against short to GND. Short to a voltage or other cell wire would give false reading. It's still better than nothing.

isolation boards are definitely required and if you have a Sidekick I would recommend the new KISS board which Lillestolen designed and works quite well.
You can DIY with 10k Ohm resistors but the board designed from KISS is going to be your best bet.

Personally I don't use dual monitors though as even with the isolation boards I don't have much faith in splitting the signal and getting reliable readings. It's one thing on a a digital system where the ADC handles isolation on the canbus but it's not something I personally prioritize *my eCCR's have dual monitors and I wouldn't have it any other way but on my Sidekick I personally don't use the splitters since the Divesoft Freedom has haptic feedback which gives the unit another way to get my attention instead of just flashing.
Yes, good points, the new Shearwater Petrel 3 has haptic feedback as well, may have to invest in one of those.

The inline resistors used in the rEvos were not originally used for any type of protection or isolation, It became a necessary when connecting Shearwater (or others if you were not smart enough to go with Shearwater) computers. The rEvo dreams had the 10k impedence built into them but Shearwater did not. Thus you would need 10K resistor installed only on the positive side going to Shearwaters. This would allow correct reading from them without interference

I seem to remember a thread on FB a long time ago talking about the "isolation electronics" and how they didn't really help. IIRC, the guy was using a N@90 cable, which has resistors across the positive signals and going to ground, theoretically protecting against 1) false readings on the unit when a secondary was not plugged in and 2) signal short. The guy flooded one (don't remember if it was the unit controller or secondary monitor) and the other one went crazy.

FWIW, I just split the signal, no resistors. Haven't had a problem yet (mccr with shearwater petrel and nerd via fischers). Not a sidewinder, though. YMMV.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom