OxyCheq Raider failed, then failed again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part, I've been very impressed with Oxycheq products (Extreme wings are the best in the world, IMHO!)....except for their lights.....crappy!.....brand new Raider III flooded on it's first dive trip, and back up Raider I, while it has not flooded, is way too spazz-tic (flickers/erratic) to bring on any more dive trips, so just use that one around the house/garage in a non mission-critical environment. The Oxy 'light socks' are brilliant, bought a bunch of those and am using them on (5) Mb-Sub lights instead, a marriage made in heaven !

I bought a new OxyCheq Raider I from my LDS. It acted squirrely on its first dive (it would wink on and off when jostled -- this also happened to my buddy's Raider I).

I took it to my LDS. They sent it to OxyCheq. I waited a lonnnnng time... about 4 months for the light to be returned.

I threw in new batteries and turned it on and... No dice! The thing fails to light up at all.

I'm somewhat reluctant to try again because (1) they already took a half-working light and sent me a fully-broken one, (2) if I contact them directly, they just bounce me to my dealer (who's located an hour away and keeps hours that are tough for me to hit), and (3) I formerly had a massively unsatisfying customer experience with them over a leaky p-valve.

But just to nurture one last tiny kernel of hope: Oxycheq, are you out there? For the love of sweet baby Jesus, what do I have to do to get a light that works?

...dude, a Raider I is only about a $ 70 light....life is too short to spend 4 months + screwing with small potatoes. I doubt anyone who's posted so far on this thread is 'financially challenged' to the extent that a $ 70 loss is meaningful...cut your losses and avoid attempting a crusade against Oxycheq on this minor issue. I'm sure we've all, during our scuba careers, have eaten much bigger losses on sour dive trips/stupid gear purchases than burning $70 on a cheap dive light.

I learned to just let it go and vow no more Oxy lights.....scuba diving is full of continuing education expenses, as it were.

I'm sure it's not about the $70 but the crappy attitude and lack of basic customer service that you get from Oxycheq if you have a problem.

I bought my two lights from Scubatoys and when they failed, sent them back to scubatoys who in turn sent them to Oxycheq. I also waited 4 months to get them back and one only worked a few times before failing. Scubatoys told me to send it directly back to Oxycheq. I did as instructed and after waiting to hear anything contacted Oxycheq who claimed to never have gotten the light. After numerous emails they finally told me that the light was out of warranty anyways so tough luck for me (my words).

Yet another person who will never spend a dime on their products and will be sure to let every other diver I know how poorly they run their business.

chipwd: Did Scubatoys make it right for you in the end? (I can't quite tell.) I bought a fairly expensive Oxycheq item (not a light), and after reading some threads here on SB, the best route seemed to be to buy through Scubatoys as they either had more pull with Oxycheq or maybe just stood behind items they sold themselves.

Since you bought something Oxycheq through Scubatoys and had a problem, I'd just like to understand better how it was handled, if you don't mind clarifying. I get the picture that Oxycheq failed you, but I'm not clear how it ended up with Scubatoys.

I just let it go. Scubatoys has always been wonderful to deal with and in this instance took themselves out of the loop by having me deal directly with Oxycheq. I will let them know that oxycheq dropped the ball on this but I really do not expect them to have to cover for oxycheq.

I just let it go. Scubatoys has always been wonderful to deal with and in this instance took themselves out of the loop by having me deal directly with Oxycheq. I will let them know that oxycheq dropped the ball on this but I really do not expect them to have to cover for oxycheq.

Your call ... but that's not good customer support by ScubaToys to my concern, and given their reputation I'm surprised by it.

Oxycheq makes it quite clear that they do not deal directly with the consumer ... that's why they have dealers. The dealer (ScubaToys) sold you the gear ... they should make good on it and deal on their end with Oxycheq.

I attempted the same route you're going, and was told by Patrick that he WOULD NOT deal directly with the consumer. In my case, the vendor (Cave Adventurers) made good by offering me equal value on any other product he carried.

ScubaToys should not be taking themselves out of the loop ... they are an integral part of the loop ... the part that exists between you and Oxycheq.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In defense of scubatoys, they did offer to give me a comparable replacement light free of charge, different brand than oxycheq. I choose to not take them up on the offer, feeling that oxycheq should have stepped up and handled the problem.

Scubatoys has always been outstanding in customer service. Patrick should learn a lesson from them.

I bought a Oxycheq Mach V wing this year. Have they had any problems with this particular wing? I realize this thread is about lights, but to read about all the bad experiences, and no response from Oxycheq. You would think Oxycheq would respond to this thread. That is if they realy did care.

Wings are just fine. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, it makes no difference if the item is $70 or $700. If they wont replace a $70 light, which their cost is less than $25. Why would anyone buy a more expensive piece of gear from Oxy and expect a problem to be corrected?

...dude, a Raider I is only about a $ 70 light....life is too short to spend 4 months + screwing with small potatoes. I doubt anyone who's posted so far on this thread is 'financially challenged' to the extent that a $ 70 loss is meaningful...cut your losses and avoid attempting a crusade against Oxycheq on this minor issue. I'm sure we've all, during our scuba careers, have eaten much bigger losses on sour dive trips/stupid gear purchases than burning $70 on a cheap dive light.

I learned to just let it go and vow no more Oxy lights.....scuba diving is full of continuing education expenses, as it were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom