Oxycheq Mach V vs. DSS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod,

Sorry this is a little off topic, but in your second pic with the freedom plate and double hose regulator, I noticed your octopus is bungied off too. How do you donate air? Just curious more than anything, not too familiar with double hose setups.

Victor

I use a slip knot--fisherman's knot or I have a few Mantas now also. The mouthpiece sticks through it. It will quick release easily. To donate air on the 40 inch octapus and that is what is pictured--an octapus--not a backup--I simply pull the second stage and the bungee releases easily. This is not DIR but it is consistent with 95% of dive training in the industry--donate the octapus, the doner diver keeps their primary. My wife and I are rigged essentially the same as are most divers. You can share air with the double hose, the rubber hoses easily rotate should the need arise. In 66/68 when I did my NAUI Scuba Diver we were mostly on double hoses and we had to buddy breath around and around the pool with flooded masks. It is really quite easy--just different.

Oh--drat--now the lettering is in black---guess I will just have to sell mine--any buyers---lol. That is why I like vintage gear--it is done with and it never changes. Actually, the black marker works great. I have done a bunch of dives on it with the marker painted letters and no fading back out.

All of these small wings dive pretty much the same I imagine. I think even the H wing is a bit fat compared to the Mach V or DSS. Not only that but my H brand spring straps broke because they are plastic ruining a dive. In decades I never had a rubber strap break but the spring strap broke so H is suspect to me now.

The main thing I like about the Mach V is it's virtually zero footprint, what I don't like about it is that it does not drain water fast enough when I am climbing the ladder. Punch the inflate button and it squeezes out and so that is what I do.

N

Nemrod:
I use a slip knot--fisherman's knot or I have a few Mantas now also. The mouthpiece sticks through it. It will quick release easily. To donate air on the 40 inch octapus and that is what is pictured--an octapus--not a backup--I simply pull the second stage and the bungee releases easily. This is not DIR but it is consistent with 95% of dive training in the industry--donate the octapus, the doner diver keeps their primary. My wife and I are rigged essentially the same as are most divers. You can share air with the double hose, the rubber hoses easily rotate should the need arise. In 66/68 when I did my NAUI Scuba Diver we were mostly on double hoses and we had to buddy breath around and around the pool with flooded masks. It is really quite easy--just different.

N

Ahhh, interesting. Cool, and thanks for the info.

spschneer:
Which DSS wing for Singles would be equivalent to (or better than) the Oxycheq Mach V.

There is none.

spschneer:
Specifically, looking for ~30# lift, STA-less design, primarily recreational...

If this is what you want, then you should go for the Torus. It certainly isn't a Mach V but it would be a better choice if you don't want to use a standard STA.

Maybe you should re-think the STA thing...

Ahh, Stephen Ash and DSS in the same thread. It's like honey to the bee.

evad:
Ahh, Stephen Ash and DSS in the same thread. It's like honey to the bee.

It's good to be back!

spschneer:
Specifically, looking for ~30# lift, STA-less design, primarily recreational, but having some trim issues with my Zeagle Ranger...I'm thinking the BP/W will help with more weight higher up on my torso...I'm 6'6" and have very lean (and long) legs which tend to sink. Also, I'm a WWW (warm water Wimp) so I'm not interested in 5/7MM suits for bouyancy or warmth and live in Fl so most of my diving ends up being in 3MM or less.
Stephen Ash:
...but it would be a better choice if you don't want to use a standard STA.

Maybe you should re-think the STA thing...
Were you recommending this for his benefit, or yours? :rofl3:

John

Here's a nice shot of the Mach V from the rear

Mach_V_03.jpg

And from the side...

Mach_V_02.jpg

And here's the zipper that allows access to the inner bladder...

Mach_V_10.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom