Oxycheq Mach V Razor 30# (with pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my new wing this morning, and since it's a brand new model from Oxycheq I thought I'd post a few pics and thoughts. In general it's a super slick bladderless wing with a slight rear bias in lift. STA is not required, but I will use one anyway. I do have a few concerns concerning the true lift capacity and gusset system's affect on OPV venting - you will see what I mean from the pics.

Here's are the basic pics and measurements (sorry about the red text, it got blurred for some reason when I uploaded the pics):

edit: The red text was supposed to say that the max width is 16" empty including a 1" sewed edge (or half inch per side) and 14" when full. The max length is 25.5" empty including a 1" sewed edge and 25" when full.

30mv_razor2.jpg

30mv_razor1.jpg

30mv_razor10.jpg

30mv_razor9.jpg

This is what it looks like on a regular size backplate:

30mv_razor3.jpg

30mv_razor6.jpg

I use an STA but the cam straps slots do work with my DSS plates as well:

30mv_razor4.jpg

It has two pairs of rods above the cam strap slots that I presume are meant to stop tank roll when the wing is used without an STA:

30mv_razor5.jpg

Here's another pic of the wing bolted to the plate with the STA. Now imagine forcing a tank on top - I'm pretty sure you'd lose some of the lift capacity, though I should still have enough lift left for my needs:

30mv_razor8.jpg

The wing is able to maintain it's slick profile because of the narrow center panel, and with the use of a gusset system running along the outer and inner sides of the wing, whereas the old Razors had the gussets only on the inner or tank side and their center panels were wider:

30mv_razor7.jpg

I'm a little concerned that the gusset may divide the gas in the wing in such a way that when there's only a little bit left and I pull the dump cord only the gas to the left of the gusset (from the diver's perspective) will be vented without extra maneuvering, but we'll see:

30mv_razor11.jpg

The corrugated hose and inflation hose are 16" and 24", respectively. That's longer than I need, but if ordering directly from Oxycheq then I'm sure Patrick will work with you on the hose lengths. I ordered mine from Scubatoys and all the wings they had came with these hose lengths.

But it doesn't matter to me since I intend replace them anyway with my Rite-Source. Incidentally, if anyone wants the whole 16" corrugated hose with elbow and K-inflator and 24" LP hose at below market price then PM me. I'll sell them for say 70% of whatever the going price is online including shipping.

I could be missing something there, but my DSS LCD30 (I just went and measured it full) is about 14" by 25" full (conversion rate 1"=2,54 cm), and it seems like the center panel is wider thus allowing more lift capacity. Can you post measures of the center panel?

OTOH, this is really a pointless discussion, enjoy your new wing. :D

I could be missing something there, but my DSS LCD30 (I just went and measured it full) is about 14" by 25" full (conversion rate 1"=2,54 cm), and it seems like the center panel is wider thus allowing more lift capacity. Can you post measures of the center panel?

OTOH, this is really a pointless discussion, enjoy your new wing. :D

Sure. The center panel is 3.25" wide the way I measure it. See for yourself:

30mv_razor12.jpg

By the way, the pic also shows a close-up of the tank roll control rods. And another thing I noticed was that the gussets are still on the tank side as well as along the "perimeter" (to misuse the term) of the wing.

As for your LCD 30 you are just measuring the inflated area of it instead of actual volume. It may be flatter or rounder when inflated. The gussets on the inner and outer boundaries of the Razor wing allow it inflate in thickness and "more squarely" (so to speak) than similar wings without gussets.

The 30# Mach V Razor is 5.5 inches thick when fully inflated.

And here's what I meant by it being more square when full than perhaps some other wings:

30mv_razor13.jpg

30mv_razor14.jpg

I'm a little concerned that the gusset may divide the gas in the wing in such a way that when there's only a little bit left and I pull the dump cord only the gas to the left of the gusset (from the diver's perspective) will be vented without extra maneuvering, but we'll see:

30mv_razor11.jpg

I did my first 3 dives on this rig and just wanted to report that there was no venting or air trapping problems as far as I could tell. The wing is so narrow that it vents really easily, and the way I pull the dump cord the left bottom corner gets squeezed flat against the tank (again because the wing is so narrow) making any potential divide there moot.

Here are some pics of how it looks on an AL80 (though it's set a little too low in hindsight):

rite_source_rig9_full.jpg

rite_source_rig5_full.jpg

rite_source_rig11_AL80.jpg

That thing is incredible---dang nab it. Stop torturing me!

N

Wow, sick pics. Thanks for the update. That thing makes me even more crazy for a BP/W.......

Edit: Is this the 285.00 one from ST? The Mach V? I don't see the "Razor" version. Maybe I'm blind.

Danny

So... what did the neighbors think when they saw you out on the street all suited up? Did anybody honk their horn? Were you standing at a bus stop? Did you try hailing a cab? :D

You're turning into a gear hog, Floater!

Wow, sick pics. Thanks for the update. That thing makes me even more crazy for a BP/W.......

Edit: Is this the 285.00 one from ST? The Mach V? I don't see the "Razor" version. Maybe I'm blind.

Danny

Not sure why it's not listed yet at ST. Maybe they have limited availability because it's new. I bought mine by phone.

Anyway, this is the 30# Razor version of the Mach V, which was $250 - the usual 10% SB discount when I bought mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom