OxyCheq Mach V 32lb - Is this an Unusual Failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all, for your great responses. I figure that I just need to get in touch with OxyCheq. It seems like the base that broke is now trapped inside the bladder and the only way to get it out is to cut an opening. If OxyCheq could send me a new bladder that would be ideal.

Hi,
No need to get a new bladder. All you do is capture the picece that is inside the bladder and slip it thru the opening in the bladder where the elbow attached.
The bladder is just fine, or most likely is fine.
Good luck, Jim

I have sent OxyCheq another email. Maybe they will respond this time. I don't like my chances though.

EDIT: Jim, are you sure the base will fit through the small opening? The base looks like it has a much bigger diameter. Plus, the replacement is going to have a threaded protrusion, which might make it even harder to slip in.

However, if this is all that is required, fantastic. I'll see what Scuttlebutt comes back with, as I asked them the same question (they did offer to sell me the base component for $20 AUD).

It seems to me if you purchased the gear from ST or any reputable retailer, you should not have to pay return shipping or anything. From the look of it since it is not just the outside elbow, it may be easier to just get a new wing. I hope all goes well.

cmburch, I purchased wing from NESS but I haven't had a response from them. I purchased the Freedom Plate from ST. They didn't have any colored wings in stock at the time, otherwise I would have bought the wing from them as well.

I think that if OxyCheq was a large company, they might have a global support policy... though this is not a given, considering that neither Scubapro nor Aqualung do this.

Yeah, I think ST offered to replace the entire bladder. In fact, Joey said they have the parts in stock and can replace it and send it off the same day as receiving it. Pretty darn good.

No need to get a new bladder. All you do is capture the picece that is inside the bladder and slip it thru the opening in the bladder where the elbow attached.
The bladder is just fine, or most likely is fine.
Good luck, Jim
Just as you said, Jim, the base was easy to slip out through the opening in the bladder. In fact, it was so easy I laughed at myself for stirring up all this trouble (still, it is a process of learning).

The opening showed no significant deformation from pushing the base through. I'll be ordering two replacement sets (the base, seal/washer, and top elbow come as a set) and the tool to fix it up with is separate.

Thanks for everyone's input. A mountain was made into... well, actually, it was flattened.

Cheers,
Nick

Great news :)

Okaaay then...

Here is an update to finalise this thread.

I received the two replacement component kits from Scuba Toys with no worries, as well as the additional kit and the tools to fit them. Thanks to Joey and ST for honoring warranty for gear purchased from a competitor.

The new components are indeed different and definitely feel like a stronger material and improved construction. Here are the images:

MeNxbG
The remaining spare kit, tools and BC. The BC is great quality and the new parts seem to match that quality. Time will tell I guess. But, for now, I am happy with what I have seen.

jUjYgL
This is the two tools together and the replacement components attached.

LDMLgv
The damaged part is on the left. The good part is on the right and looks to be of better construction.

This damaged part was taken from the rear dump valve. Scuba Toys spoke to Oxycheq, who recommended they replace both sets of components under warranty... good thing they did, because the rear dump was on its way to failure.

9QuoRZ
You can see the crack.

dDgBlf
Inside the bladder. Very easy to get in and out through the re-enforced opening.

DLuR3K
The right tool for the right job. Made it easy to tighten correctly.

GGW2gw
The replacement part. Nice.

ZcSPe6
The top component and the tool for securing it (actually, this tool attached to the top component and the other tool poked through to attach to the inner component).

yKNkXO
You can clearly see that the inner component is screwed up through the center of the top component, with the two knobs that allow the other tool to attach and turn.

PLzA5U
The outer thick washer is attached before securing the hose elbow.

Now I just need to wait for spring to test all the new gear ready for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom