OxyCheq Mach V 32lb - Is this an Unusual Failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxtoast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the 30lb Mach V wing and Freedom Plate combo. What a great combination, at least in the design and quality stakes (haven't dived with it yet).

However, after handling the Mach V while fitting to the FP, I noticed that the Inflator Hose coupling, where the elbow attaches to the outside of the wing and through to the inside of the bladder, had broken off. Here are some images of the component I am talking about:

All%20Inflator%20Coupling%20Components%20RESIZED.jpg

Inflator%20Coupling%20External%20Connector%20RESIZED.jpg

Inflator%20Coupling%20in%20Bladder%20RESIZED.jpg

Inflator%20Coupling%20Thread%20%28Fatigued%29%20RESIZED.jpg

We've all used our gear in often harsh conditions and most of the time it has withstood a lot of abuse. So, why then, has this critical component come apart with minimal use?

I am posting this here because I would like OxyCheq to take note and possibly reconsider the material used for this component. The component that has broken is CRITICAL to the operation AND safety of the wing. This could have failed while I was diving and it would have resulted in the loss of all air in the wing, with no way of refilling it. This could have led to some dire complications.

When inspecting the component, the first thing that one would likely ask is "why is this not made from a stronger material?".

Surely, this component deserves to be made out of a stronger plastic than any of the other components in the wing. Or even made out of steel.

The thing is, the rest of the wing is very well built and it is such a shame that this one tiny little component could be such an achillies heel.

I have to send this wing back to the US and incurr postage (there and back) of almost $120 USD (I live in Australia). Sure, these things happen. But, maybe it should only have happened if I had dropped my 120 CuF tank on the elbow.

I honestly expected a lot more from a tech diving product. This stuff should be over-engineered and certainly stronger than the recreational diving products out there on the market.

OxyCheq, you enjoy a great reputation and I am sure you would be happy to address this issue (looks like it might be ongoing and unaddressed:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oxycheq/248450-inflator-assembly-issue.html

Sorry I can't help you with what went wrong or anything like that.. but what about contacting a local Oxycheq dealer that might be able to help you out cheaper?

I don't know where you are in Aus but there is Scuttlebutt Scuba Charters in Victoria that deals with Oxycheq, maybe they can help out?

Hi Saspotato,

Yep, I sent an email to OxyCheq about this issue and asked about going through an Aussie reseller. No response.

I spoke to SCUBA CULTURE - LEARN TO DIVE! DIVE GEAR! HAWTHORN, MELBOURNE and they said OxyCheq has a return to place of purchase warranty arrangement. I was disapointed to hear that OxyCheq would not encourage their resellers to support their products globally, regardless of where they were purchased. If this is not true, and that the reseller might have simply been pissed that "yet another" diver was buying things from overseas, I would like to hear about it (and I am sure all prospective overseas customers might also like to know more about OxyCheq support).

Thanks for making the suggestion. I'll be sure to speak to Scuttlebutt before sending anything away (actually, it would be great to hear from OxyCheq before I do anything).

Cheers,
Nick

Even though this is posted in the OxyCheq forum, I wouldn't expect a response here anytime soon. I clicked on Patrick's profile and noticed he hasn't logged on in over 6 months.

I've emailed, PMed and/or spoken on the phone with both Patrick and Dwayne and found them to be incredibly helpful.

Hopefully you'll get this resolved soon. :)

Yep hopefully the other dealer can help.

This has happen to some last year. Bad batch of elbows. Search SB & ST forums. ST will send a replacement ASAP. I have been using a Mach V for 2 years.

Hi,
I had the same problem with my Oxycheq wing 2 years ago.
Oxycheq sent me the parts to fix the wing, and it has worked just fine for the
last 100 dives.
I did have to contact Oxycheq just about a month ago due to failure, but this was my failure. I was setting up my gear for vacation and cracked off the over pressure valve when I put my cylinder down on it a little hard.
Again I contacted Oxycheq, purchased 2 over pressure valves and some extra flanges.

They were very helpful.

Good luck, Jim Breslin

It's not limited to Oxycheck. I purchased another mfg's BCD recently and had the same thing happen. I suspect it was part of that same bad batch of elbows and multiple wing mfg's got hit with it.

Called was sent parts right away with the option to return if I couldn't fix it.

Took me about 10 mins at most to fix and was done.

Oxycheck's got a good reputation, so I would expect them to make it right.

Got the same problem (exhaust/OPV not inflator)
Interesting fact:it was probably the second time ir got broken as when i checked and removed the parts, i found an old piece inside the wing, so it was clearly a common issue.
The all kit was from Scubatoys, as usual got good and fast support. they proposed to change the wing but eventually I ask to get the spare parts immediately and changed it.

It seems a very common problem but linked to some old lots of this valve manufacturer. Still little freaky.
Even if after replacing, I never had any issue while tested the valve pretty hard, now I ALWAYS carry a spare part kit in my bag, and check that one before every trip.

It is little sad, as I really really like the Freedom Plate + Oxycheq mach V extreme combo.

Thanks all, for your great responses. I figure that I just need to get in touch with OxyCheq. It seems like the base that broke is now trapped inside the bladder and the only way to get it out is to cut an opening. If OxyCheq could send me a new bladder that would be ideal.

I think that it is up to OxyCheq, et al, to ensure that third party components meet quality specifications.

Saspotato, I received an email from Scuttlebutt and they also said OxyCheq have a return to point of sale policy for warranty repairs.

Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom