OxyCheq Light BP & wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Happy Holidays everyone:

Just finished putting together my first BP/W; below are pics for the finished setup:

parts:
- OxyCheq Ultra Lite Back Plate.
- OxyCheq Mach V Extreme Series Wing 30lbs.
- OxyCheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System (yeah, why not to have comfort when diving with a rash guard)
- Scuba Sex Bolts (2)
- Apollo's Bio Tank Lock (only 1)

notes:
- while I don't fancy DIR and all (no offense); all I wanted a modular back inflate & been contemplating a setup as this one or something like Zeagle or Knighthawk, anyway I chose what I think is the most convenient for me & my type of diving (mostly warm and some winter dive every now & then - temp 8C at most).
- waist buckle: installed on the center since my buddy was not comfortable with it being on the side.
- I'm yet to try it in a pool fist before hitting the shore with it.
- still trying to figure out how to put on the weight; so far installed 2 Xscuba weight pockets on the tank strap. but sure I'll need more (total i used to need 7Kg with 3mm wet & poodle jacket BC)
- thoughts about attaching the following are appreciated:
C8 piston style light (only during night dives)
SK7 compass (right now on the right shoulder D ring
OMS line cutter (hook style with own pocket)
Atomic dive knife
SP pocket light

inputs/ corrections are much appreciated.
Thanks. :lotsalove:
EOS_450D1217_2_1.JPG

EOS_450D1216_2_1.JPG

EOS_450D1215_2_1.JPG

EOS_450D1213_2_1.JPG

EOS_450D1212_2_1.JPG

EOS_450D1210_2_1.JPG

Nice rig. I just pickup up the Apeks BP and WTX6 wing. The guys in the store helped me set it up and even changed the buckle out for a better one - this took 45 minutes to get the webbing right and the fit perfect. I then dove it this weekend. Should of done a try-out dive first, to get the weighting right - other than that it went well.

I don't see d-rings for the back of the crotch-strap?

Looks like a nice christmas gift to yourself.

thanks & congrats to you for your toy as well :)
yeah, I didn't intall the rear ring since unlikely I'll need it coz dunno what is it for :D

I like it. So you will be using a single camband, that heavy duty one---looks solid---are you sure the tank will not slip sideways and twist---just asking.

I still don't understand how you guys are getting the camband through the wing and the plate? The slots on my Oxy 18 just don't seem to allow that.

I adjusted all of my straps and then used a second set of keepers to lock the adjustments in so the straps cannot slip. Mine is rigged traditional Hog but I used a softer than standard webbing material and Oxy shoulder pads.

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0173-1.jpg

I am not sure how durable a fabric plate will be over several seasons but it is the kind of out of the box thinking that is sorely missing in the industry. I love mine and so far, so good. I use the dual Scuba Pro type bands on this one. This rig is as close to diving without a BC as can exist. It is virtually invisible in the water. Not quite, but close.

I have cut an aluminum blank that is very similar to the Oxy ultralight. I was sidetracked by my wifes poodle jacket project, Christmas and some other more important things but I may sport an aluminum Oxy ultra light befor all is said and done. I will have a slip on fabric cover sewn for it, maybe. I am also saving money for a DR500 light or similar. Alos cut a blank holder for my stripped down Suunto compass yesterday but need some 5/32 bungee I guess it is.

Yeah, yeah, aluminum tanks, in a rash guard and swim suit a steel tank (other than a steel 72 LP) is just to heavy and requires the addition of air to the wing. I can dive this rig with zero air in the wing. I install four pounds of lead on the cam band straps to zero the rig (to counter the four pounds bouyancy of the aluminum tank). I might wear four pounds on a belt additionally or may not, just depends.

The quest continues for the ultimate dive rig.

N

Nice set-up! It seems you may have one across one of the minor issues you can have w/ a BP/W set-up. There's really no pockets to put things in, and unless your gear is set-up to clip off to the D-rings, or you have drysuit pockets, you need someplace to put "things".

Here's a couple suggestions:

For weight, you can either use a weight belt or some more XS scuba pockets on your waist strap or a combination of the two. If you needed 7kg of weight w/ the poodle jacket, you'll probably need a little less. The other thing would be to have a heavier plate, but you've already bought the Ultralight.

Line cutter might have a belt loop strap so you could put that on your waist. Depending on the size of the knife, you could mount that to your LP inflator hose or one of the shoulder straps.

I would buy a bungee mount for the SK-7 and put it on my wrist/forearm. Much easier to see that way.

You might want to look at something like a Dive Rite thigh pocket or some X-shorts. This will give you a pocket for the pocket light and other "stuff". The new ones have a latex non-slip band so they don't move around on your thigh like the old ones. You can also get pockets that fit directly on the waist strap, but the problem w/ those is that you don't have a lot of room on your waist straps, especially if you have a cannister light, or weight pockets on the waist strap. Unless of course you have a huge belly :)

For the C8 light, tie a bolt snap to the handle and clip off to one of your D-rings. There's really no good way to secure that from "dangling", but for the most part it will be in your hand (it's nighttime, and you need a light, right?).

The rear D-ring is used commonly for reels, but you could clip off the light there.

Hope that helps,

John

Looks great. It will probably not be as rock solid as a metal plate but I'm sure you will like it. And it packs and travels so well.

You need to try it without the crotch strap. I've found crotch straps to be of little use on all my BP rigs.

You may also want to take a close look at how Nemrod attached his straps at the wait connections. Yours are assembled by the instructions and will slide if you pull on them. I founfd that to be unnecessary and actually undesirable. Threading through both slots will lock the adjustment in place.

I like it. So you will be using a single camband, that heavy duty one---looks solid---are you sure the tank will not slip sideways and twist---just asking.
not sure, that's why i'm gonna try it in a pool first, of course no currents & all, but I think i'll get the idea & some feeling of it.
BTW I came to know about this tank lock from my, now hopefully retired, Apollo jacket BC, which was integrated into it, the lock blocks weigh about 2 pounds.
I still don't understand how you guys are getting the camband through the wing and the plate? The slots on my Oxy 18 just don't seem to allow that.
I think this BP is not meant to have 2 tank bands: see the 2 plastic padded slots in the middle of the BP?? this where the tank band should go, I think, or what I figured:D. you have to align the holes for the fasteners to ( 2 up & 2 down) to have both the BP slits & wing slots inline.
I adjusted all of my straps and then used a second set of keepers to lock the adjustments in so the straps cannot slip.
where are these keepers? how?
I am not sure how durable a fabric plate will be over several seasons but it is the kind of out of the box thinking that is sorely missing in the industry. I love mine and so far, so good. I use the dual Scuba Pro type bands on this one. This rig is as close to diving without a BC as can exist. It is virtually invisible in the water. Not quite, but close.
well, for durability, it is yet to be tested; SP bands are quite reliable as well.
I have cut an aluminum blank that is very similar to the Oxy ultralight. I was sidetracked by my wifes poodle jacket project, Christmas and some other more important things but I may sport an aluminum Oxy ultra light befor all is said and done. I will have a slip on fabric cover sewn for it, maybe.
brilliant! for the ALU plate idea!
Yeah, yeah, aluminum tanks, in a rash guard and swim suit a steel tank (other than a steel 72 LP) is just to heavy and requires the addition of air to the wing. I can dive this rig with zero air in the wing. I install four pounds of lead on the cam band straps to zero the rig (to counter the four pounds bouyancy of the aluminum tank). I might wear four pounds on a belt additionally or may not, just depends.
I've tried to visualize the use of a weight belt with the crotch strap; but I think it will be in the way?! any real life experiences?? also, thinking about the silly, bad, evil idea of putting 2 more weight pockets on the waist strap..:shakehead:

Those are great ideas but I think both myself and Maged are rigging these for warm water exploration, mostly with no exposure suit at all and certainly no drysuit. My Mini Q Lite goes on my rh strap clipped to the D ring and rides under a piece of inner tube. I have a line cutter on the lh strap and whn possible a Tekna knife on the waist strap. Don't need a bigger light for day use in tropical waters, it is perfect for illuminating crevices and look see. A heavier plate is a vicious circle, particularly with increasing weight restrictions on air travel, thus, the Oxy Ultra Light plate.

Oxy Ultra light in the water, don't need no stink'n drysuit:

IMG_0520.jpg

N

Nice set-up! It seems you may have one across one of the minor issues you can have w/ a BP/W set-up. There's really no pockets to put things in, and unless your gear is set-up to clip off to the D-rings, or you have drysuit pockets, you need someplace to put "things".
how about getting some pockets like thigh pockets and sew/ glue them to a cycling shorts to wear over the wetsuit? I don't do dry - not needed where i am:D
For weight, you can either use a weight belt or some more XS scuba pockets on your waist strap or a combination of the two. If you needed 7kg of weight w/ the poodle jacket, you'll probably need a little less. The other thing would be to have a heavier plate, but you've already bought the Ultralight.
for the SS plate or even ALU; i was afraid i'd be far too heavy for majority of my dive time (summer)
been thinking about the waist weight pockets though but they won't be ditchable:confused:.
Line cutter might have a belt loop strap so you could put that on your waist. Depending on the size of the knife, you could mount that to your LP inflator hose or one of the shoulder straps.
for line cutter this is where i have it for now; but looks like a :dork2: with that big OMS logo :D. the knife has a 4 inch blunt tip blade; big one, not really for BC.
I would buy a bungee mount for the SK-7 and put it on my wrist/forearm. Much easier to see that way.
but i like it with the retract - confess it dangles a bit (just about its hight: 6 inches).
You can also get pockets that fit directly on the waist strap, but the problem w/ those is that you don't have a lot of room on your waist straps, especially if you have a cannister light, or weight pockets on the waist strap. Unless of course you have a huge belly :)
:no: too skinny for that:wink:

You need to try it without the crotch strap. I've found crotch straps to be of little use on all my BP rigs.
won't it ride on you without the croutch strap?
You may also want to take a close look at how Nemrod attached his straps at the wait connections. Yours are assembled by the instructions and will slide if you pull on them. I founfd that to be unnecessary and actually undesirable. Threading through both slots will lock the adjustment in place.
Ah, you mean to say the lower keeprs on the plate on the right & left bottom? if it is I have no problem with it since my harness has adjustable shoulder buckles that i can pull the webbing through --> will affect the waist strap.

Now what to do with all that extra webbing from both sides of the waist?? I think I'll cut it out with a soldering iron; is it ok?

Don't cut it just yet until you have mulled things over a few days. Yeah, pockets on the waist never worked for me either, simply not enough girth, however, I am working on it full time.

I have found that with my Freedom Plate and my Oxy Ultra Light, the crotch strap is really not needed. I just cinch the waist strap down snug. I still have it installed on the Freedom but not on the Ultra Light. If you put one on to just use the one inch type and leave it loose. If you have a riding problem you can snug it a bit. Really, you might not need it since I gather you still have an indentation where your tummy is---lol.

As to the weight belt, old school, for this application, it goes on the outside of the crotch strap. Yeah, yeah, I know, but we are not in significantly bouyant exposure gear where wearing it under makes sense, nope, in this case I do it the old way, over. I only have four pounds on it, lol, four pounds on the cam bands also. With my stainless Freedom, I often don't need the weight belt at all, just put four pounds on the cambands. Assuming an aluminum 80, with my steel Faber 85 I can get rid of all weight.

Merry Christmas to all.

Nem

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom