Owner of Shark Dive on Oahu killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did you guys see the news that the guy who swam with the great white (also the owner of the shark dive op here on Oahu) died yesterday while base jumping somewhere on the mainland?

sea nmf:
Did you guys see the news that the guy who swam with the great white (also the owner of the shark dive op here on Oahu) died yesterday while base jumping somewhere on the mainland?
Sorry if this seems insensitive... but are you shocked?

No - not shocked. When we live our lives the way that we choose, we accept the risks. I don't know the guy but I'd guess he knew.

I talked with someone he grew up with here and their group of friends always wondered how he stayed alive as long as he did.

He says he expects the North Shore Shark Diving operation will die along with him since he was the only one fighting to keep it legal.

sea nmf:
No - not shocked. When we live our lives the way that we choose, we accept the risks. I don't know the guy but I'd guess he knew.

I talked with someone he grew up with here and their group of friends always wondered how he stayed alive as long as he did.

He says he expects the North Shore Shark Diving operation will die along with him since he was the only one fighting to keep it legal.
Jimmy was an adrenaline junkie and lived life to the fullest each and every day. I have much admiration for that. His encounter with the great white is something I dream of, and anyone who spent any time with him, walked away with some of his knowlege of sharks and their behavior.
The fight for the shark tour operations will continue!!! There are many of us on the north shore who don't believe the opposition and will continue to try and educate people regarding the facts and myths of the sharks tours. In fact, any one who lives here and believes it is wrong is welcome to go out with either shark tour operation for free to see what the operation is all about.
I believe the operations will continue, despite Jimmy's passing.
Heres a little video in honor of Jimmy's favorite animal.

I personally didnt know Jimmy, nor have I been in the water with white sharks. I have many time been to Guadalupe Island in Mexico and have seen the giants in thier natural setting. Guadalupe Island is a place we have been fishing for many years.

I have lost countless tuna to very big white sharks right under the boat. I am talking 150 pounders in one bite. We also have seals right around the boat everytime the sharks are there and the sharks are not going after the seals, they know they have easy pickings on our tuna. I would say we lose one out of every five of the bigger models. They dont seem to go after the smaller models like they do the bigger ones.

On several of my trips the boat the Horizon out of H & M Landing in San Diego has been there also with two shark cages. The divers actually swim to the cages and from everyone I know that has done it says no worries at all. After viewing and touching these twenty footers with my fishing rod I still cant believe how passive they are.

Its like anything lack of education prompts people/groups to most often be wrong.

Jack

Does anyone know what happened?

he was famous for filming an encounter with a great white shark off the North Shore in 2005. Oh man, what a loss.

Hawaii Shark Encounters...ya'll remember him jumping out of the cage?

very sad, what a guy. What a life.

Back
Top Bottom