Own Regs, Rent BCD, what type of inflator hose/QD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kent Georgeson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My son and I are getting into Scuba. I have purchased for myself a BCD and reg set. For my son, we are thinking just a reg set to start and then we will rent a BCD for him where ever we go (he is 14 but still growing).
I am thinking Scubapro MK21/S560 regs for him. But need to buy a QD low pressure hose for BCD. Is there a particular type of QD that is brand/BCD dependent, or are the QD fittings universal?

Mostly universal...

If you're renting a BC, show the shop your son's LP connection fitting, they'll make sure it's a fit. If not (and I believe there are two or three different connector types?), it's a quick job for them to "rent" and screw onto his first stage, an LP hose with a connector that does fit. Just get there ten or twenty minutes early.

If you get your son a Transpac, Dive Rite has a program where they will replace the straps as he grows.

As long as your regulator set uses a standard Octo, the inflator hose should be "universal." The exceptions are hoses for use with an inflator/Octo combo, which require a connection able to allow greater air flow. There are at least 3 common variations for those, none compatible with others.

I bought my reg set up about six years ago, and my inflator hose has fit every rental BCD I have used. It works just fine with my BCD. My dive buddy just purchased regs for him and and his daughter, but the dive shop didn't sell them inflator hoses. The guy sated that there are three different types, and it could just as easily be wrong. We're all headed to Coz in a couple of weeks and I think he will have a hard time if he doesn't have the hose with him. What are the three types and what's the most common?

There is only ONE type, the same you have on your BCD.

He does not own a BCD. He will be renting.

He does not own a BCD. He will be renting.
He said he owns a complete reg plus BCD for himself, and just a reg for the son...
So he already has one BCD with the standard hose. He just need to have another identical for his son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom