Own O2 analyzer and Trimix analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now that I've started diving with trimix, I am debating whether to buy a Tx analyzer, or just depend on whatever shop I get a Tx fill from to have an analyzer.

The problem I foresee is that I regularly get my tanks filled with a specific mix and then, for dives after that, often just get them topped up with air over and over until the next time I need a specific mix, or the mix gets too lean for my liking.

I can easily see getting a Tx fill here at home, then going on a trip and getting my next fill as an air (or Nitrox) top-up at a shop that doesn't offer He and doesn't have a trimix analyzer.

So, the real question is, if I buy a Tx analyzer, is there any reason to keep my Analox O2 analyzer? Is there a reason not to just use the Tx analyzer all the time, for any gas I'm analyzing?

The He analysis in a Tx analyzer does not have a sensor that has to be replaced periodically, right? It's only the O2 analysis that has a sensor that has to be replaced periodically, right? So, by just going with the Tx analyzer, I would have 1 less O2 sensor to replace every so often. But, no downside in terms of "wear" on the He analyzer section by using it frequently for Nitrox analysis, right?

I'm in a similar conundrum.

I do lots of He diving, but don't own an analyzer.

Between our teammates, we have many analyzers, and all gas is analyzed the day of diving.

While I feel like a mooch by borrowing a team resource for a few minutes everyday, I can't justify bringing another along when we only use 1 to analyze all of our gases.

If there isn't an analyzer between the people you actively are diving He with, then someone needs to have one.

As for getting rid of your O2 analyzer, I wouldn't. Damage or loss to an O2 analyzer is less than to a He analyzer....

_R

As for getting rid of your O2 analyzer, I wouldn't. Damage or loss to an O2 analyzer is less than to a He analyzer....

_R

Yeah, I thought to myself "it would be better to take the O2 analyzer along on trips where I know I'm not going to use He, since it would be a lot cheaper if it gets lost, stolen, or broken."

But, at the point it needs a new O2 sensor, does it really make sense to spend the money for that if I have a Tx analyzer sitting there with an O2 sensor that I WILL replace when it needs it?

And if it doesn't make sense to spend money for a new sensor for the O2 analyzer, should I go ahead and sell it while the current sensor is still good?

Of course, this is all a bit theoretical, at the moment as, one, I don't have a Tx analyzer yet, and, two, I'm not diving He enough yet to even be sure it's going to be a problem. At this stage, I'm just keeping an eye out in case a screaming deal on a Tx analyzer comes along.

I would probably keep two analyzers in your position depending on travel. Something like a Cootwo is huge for the CO sensor as well the cost/convenience for when you travel. CO for me is a huge risk, and while the O2 content is what it is, the CO is too risky for me to not take it.
He analyzers are unfortunately very expensive, but they don't need the cell replaced on a very regular basis because it isn't galvanic. The DiveSoft analyzers while expensive are very nice if you're doing a lot of trimix.

Personally, I would use the shop analyzers since they'll have them, and then do the PP calculations for when you fill. You know you have a set mix, and you know what pressure it is. You know what you are topping it off with, and you'll be close enough.

if you start with a known, and accurately document what you add, you should be close enough with the math for the resulting mix....

Thanks. I had contemplated just doing the math, for the occasions when I'm topping up a Tx tank at a shop that doesn't have a Tx analyzer. I guess for now I'll just plan to go that route until it happens enough to annoy me into a purchase.

Is there a Trimix analyzer on the market that also checks CO? I don't see myself buying a CooTwo just for the CO analysis.

Especially after seeing so many posts here that call the CO accuracy into question on that unit. Not that I'm trying to start that debate here! It is what it is, and I am just a little leery, so spending $350 is not in my budget.

the CO analyzer on that unit is going to be no better or worse than any other CO analyzer because the cells are the same, no different than an O2 analyzer. It is only as accurate as the sensor giving it the data. Alberto has been good about replacing faulty sensors. CO matters to me as much if not more so than the O2 percentage because you can't compensate for CO like you can with O2 and He. I am unaware of any triple analyzers on the market at the moment.

I only own a trimix analyzer. I use it for my local trimix and nitrox blending and diving. I do not usually take it with me when I travel. I rely on what I expect to find there in terms of such devices.

I am almost the only person I know who owns a trimix analyzer. For most of my local trimix dives, the people I dive with rely on me for analysis. Trimix analyzers are extremely expensive. I have to have one because I am a trimix instructor, and I don't mind the fact that they are not springing for one of their own.

In regard to feeling "awkward toward using the analyzer that isn't yours", pony up for the next cell, pay for the calibration, buy the owner's gas, buy lunch, buy the charter.... plenty of options to not having to duplicate.... I got a buddy who routinely uses tanks of mine. Some times her gets me fills, and some times he does the vip.... deals can always be worked out...

As a further explanation for for what I wrote above, in my local area, there are almost no shops that provide trimix, and there are precious few that provide nitrox. All the local nitrox and trimix diving we do is done with gas I blend myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom