Own gear right away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I just finished my PADI OW cert... I already have a Mares X-Vision Liquidskin mask (with a prescription lens that's too small, so it leaks and I can't use it, thanks to a certain online dive shop), a Sherwood Magnum II mask that I can actually use, a snorkel, and the TUSA X-PERT Zoom Z-3 fins. Am I crazy/stupid for wanting to complete my gear? I'm in Okinawa Japan for the next 2.5 years, so I should have plenty of opportunities to dive... My LDS's have decent enough gear, however there's just something about being responsible for your own gear, and having your own stuff. Hopefully you all know what I'm talking about and I don't sound even more crazy. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any input you all might have about how long you should wait before buying your own kit, or any other advice you all may have. Thanks!

If money is not a major obstacle I would purchase my own equipment immediately. Also be prepared to repurchase nearly everything when you figure out that you would rather have different stuff. I have been diving for only ten years and have been through at least three full sets of equipment. The only product that I still use, that I started with, is the Scuba Pro Mk25/600 reg set. It is not that any of the equipment was poorly designed but more of a case of me moving on to something I liked better. I would have been much better off if I had been a member of ScubaBoard and taken advice about BP/W, long hose primary, and bungeed backup. I went through the entire progression of equipment from poodle jacket to back-inflate,to Air2, to wing with "luxury" harness to hog rig with plate and wing. After a lot of time and dollars I am happy with existing set-up. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

We dove a few weeks with rentals then got our own gear.

After O/W class, I made one dive in rental gear and decided that I needed my own stuff.

Locally, it cost $50 to rent a full set of gear plus the normal $20 for quarry entrance. I knew that I wouldn't dive much at $70-80 for a day of diving so got my own gear and suits. I dive a lot more now that it's costs me $20 + $7 per fill than I would have done otherwise.

...taken advice about BP/W, long hose primary, and bungeed backup. I went through the entire progression of equipment from poodle jacket to back-inflate,to Air2, to wing with "luxury" harness to hog rig with plate and wing. After a lot of time and dollars I am happy with existing set-up.

Thanks for the advice! I need to do some more research, as half of that sounded like Greek to me. :confused: Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I need to do some more research, as half of that sounded like Greek to me. :confused: Thanks!

It won't be Greek for long. One other thing, if you have the chance to dive some different gear, be it a generous dive shop (which I have) or using a buddy's gear, do it! Figure out what you like before you buy.

I started with a used jacket BC (which I would sell cheap) and a used but rebuilt set of regs. I have since replaced the BC with a travel size back inflate BC. At some point, I'll buy a BP/W setup but I'm in no hurry.

Back
Top Bottom