OW to Instructor in 23 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some people who just end up being great instructors right off and some who are just horrible no matter how long they've dove.
I'm sorry dude, but we're gonna have to agree to agree on this one! :rofl3:

Unless you have a course director to vouch for you then you can do it early.

You need 100 to put put into teachig status AFTER he IE though.

There is also the "6 months" rule to stop nothing to instructor.

And yes i also think both these limits are ridiculously low.

IE Prerequisites directly from the current Course Director Manual:

"IE Prerequisites
1. Successful PADI IDC or OWSI Program completion within 12 months of IE start date.
2. 100 logged dives.
3. PADI Instructor Certificate of Completion that has both the OWSI/IDC completion date and dive experience sections signed by a PADI Course Director; or a PADI IE Certificate of Participation from a previous IE.
5. PADI IE Enrollment form and fee.
6. Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the
previous 12 months."

Log books are checked at the IE, just as they are at an IDC. If an IDC Candidate does not have 60 logged dives at the start of an IDC, they can't get in the course. Likewise, if the IE Candidate doesn't have 100 logged dives at the start of the IE, they are not allowed to take an IE.

There is no "provision" for someone to go to an IE with anything less that 100 dives.

From where are you getting this information?

Once aspect I think is missing from the discussion ...

When I was looking around for entry level tech diving courses (adv nitrox & deco), I went to different shops talking to them about their programs. One of the prospective instructors told me that for this type of serious diving, the student and instructor should interview each other before any instruction contract is established. We did exactly that. And, we didn't do it right then. We scheduled some time to talk with minimal distractions. I found great value in the discussion.

I would encourage anyone considering becoming a dive pro (or tech diver) to interview your potential instructor. This is the same reason high school juniors and seniors visit colleges. In diving, part of your credibility as well as your safety will depend on their abilities. You owe it to yourself, your family, and your future students.

God Bless,
Bri

IE Prerequisites directly from the current Course Director Manual:

Log books are checked at the IE, just as they are at an IDC.

My logbook was not checked at the IE...

In fact, my logbook wasn't checked until we were preparing the final instructor app paperwork after I had already passed the IE... I had plenty of dives, but there was no cause, as I was told the same thing, you can do the IDC with 60 dives and the IE with the same (obviously you rack up some during the IDC), but you can not become teaching status until your course director has signed off on 100 dives logged...

Common sense. 23 days and a piece of paper no way.

As a Scuba Instructor people's lives are your responsibility.

You want to be a complete, competent, experienced instructor not a dangerous paper-jockey.

I don't think they understand is how closely their instructor-candidates are tied to their customer retention rates and how little the candidates understand about customer service. If they had a QC staff the criticism --like this-- would have far less validity and the end-product would be a far more polished diver and professional.

But don't mistake their full-time Instructors and DMs for their instructor candidates and interns; you'd be doing Sadie, Jeff, Jesus, and Dale a great disservice.

I don't think they understand is how closely their instructor-candidates are tied to their customer retention rates and how little the candidates understand about customer service. If they had a QC staff the criticism --like this-- would have far less validity and the end-product would be a far more polished diver and professional.

But don't mistake their full-time Instructors and DMs for their instructor candidates and interns; you'd be doing Sadie, Jeff, Jesus, and Dale a great disservice.

I don't think you understand how hard it is to follow your line of communication when you do not quote the post or posts you are replying to.

It does not appear to me that any posts on this page (page 6; posts 51-56) are the possible post or posts you are speaking towards. It seems to me that at least two operators have been mentioned in this thread; perhaps you could mention the operator you are speaking about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom