OW class and diving in Koh Tao, first week of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again everyone. So many dive shops, so hard to choose!

Ive dived Roctopus. Good setup. Good size. Im not a fan of the very big shops. Roctopus is a good size with good crew. I'll also be doing my instructor course with them june/july. Give me a holler if you are around :)

You already got a few suggestions. Just a few pointer to help you decide.
Some shop cater to specific group/language, I assume you/your friend would prefer English then that is not a consideration - the previous mention shops all are primarily English. Bans is by far the largest school that operated 3-4 boats everyday, depends your preference, not necessarily a good or bad thing.
Most large school offer "free" room but varies in detail. Ex. Bans offer air-cond dorm or fan twin rooms free, if you want better room you upgrade with a "credit" towards the upgraded room charge - OW students gets 4 nights free.
Typically shops run 2/3 boat trips per day; 2 tank trip in the morning and in the afternoon and a one tank night dive. You want "as many dives as you can" then theoretically you can get 5 dives per day. Students usually get discounted rate if you want additional fun dives.
Most shops do not go to the further sites everyday and charge extra (SW Pinnacle, Sail Rock) Sail Rock in my opinion is best site in KT, suitable for beginners yet enjoyable by advanced, but it is typically a day trip. Check ahead if the shop you choose goes and on which day, how much. If not there are other shops that schedule day trip (2 tank + lunch) you can book separably.
Above mentioned shops are all in Sariee beach/village area. Convenient but more crowded, party area, beautiful sunset; if you look for quieter area look at Chalok, but less F&B choices.
I spent 2-3 months a year in Koh Tao as my winter escape. If you have specific question welcome to ask me.

Thank you all for such informative replies!

I'm still deciding on which shop to go with but I leaning towards New Way Diving. Lot of good reviews for so many shops...

On Koh Tao i prefer to stay close to Mae Had, its where all the boats go from. Not as much transportation.

'All boats' going from Mae Haad is a bit of a stretch - many shops use longtails to shuttle people to their boats waiting offshore from Sairee beach.

Quick question.

Anything else NOT allowed in Koh Tao other than gloves? I heard Thailand does not not allow scuba divers to wear gloves... I don't normally wear them but do carry them on my BCD.

TY

Quick question.

Anything else NOT allowed in Koh Tao other than gloves? I heard Thailand does not not allow scuba divers to wear gloves... I don't normally wear them but do carry them on my BCD.

TY

I wear gloves on Koh Tao, never heard it would not be allowed.

@Magnus - Thanks for the info... I guess I'll just leave my gloves on the BCD.

Back
Top Bottom