OW class and diving in Koh Tao, first week of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

So we decided to go to Koh Tao instead of Kkao Lak, and it will only be three adults.

Looking for recommendation on good shop for OW(one or two adults) and fun diving(myself with AOW).

We'll be at Koh Tao for about 7 days, 30JUN - 07JUL.

Thanks again in advance for your input.

I would recommend Crystal Dive resort. I have got there PADI AOW and various PADI specialties. Also, considering to go there this July to get PADI Rescue Diver certification.

I did my OWD and AOWD certifications with Davy Jones' Locker - they're okay, but their rental gear has seen better days. This April, I spent a week on Koh Tao diving with Roctopus and Sairee Cottage Diving - I brought my own kit this time, but from what saw of their rental stuff, it looked pristine. Sairee Cottage Diving stands out in having a different schedule for fun dives compared to most shops on the island - they have one boat for courses, which runs on a normal schedule, and another boat for fun divers, which leaves at 08:30, does three dives, and comes back around 14:00. They also frequently go around the island to sites that boats on a tighter schedule don't bother going to. It's a tiny bit more expensive than other places (2800 baht for a single trip, 5000 baht for two, 7000 for three), but gives you a more relaxed schedule (no need to get up at 5 AM), and you get a basic lunch (pineapples, watermelon, fried rice) as part of the package. They're part of a resort, which I haven't stayed at, but it does look very nice.

Appreciate all the feedback everyone.

I am looking to do as many dives, hopefully 4 -5/day, as possible while I'm there. I have heard of Crystal Dive resort and they will be on my list to select from.

BTW, at most dive shops/resorts their OW class includes "free" accommodating. Does anyone know if we can get a discount for the course if we don't stay with them? Meaning stay at a resort only for accommodation but do the OW class with one of the dive resort/center that also offers "free" accommodation...

My sister likes "high end" rooms, I'm okay with whatever.

The 'free' accommodation tends to be of the most basic kind available, without so much as an air conditioner; if you value your comfort even a little bit - don't go there :) You can try asking about a discount, but I doubt you'll get one.

You might want to consider New Way Diving, in Sairee. Tell P'Pan I said hello!

I you don't have accommodation when you arrive on Koh Tao New Way can help get you set up with a few different places. They are all on the budget scale, but clean and nice.

+1 for Roctopus and Phoenix, used to work with them and thought they ran good ops. Roctopus is small, Phoenix is mid-sized.

Wouldn't describe Roctopus as small... they have an office near the pier at Mae Haad plus the dive shop itself in Sairee, at the Wind Beach Resort, and they run two boats out of the Mae Haad pier - maybe they used to be smaller and have grown recently?

Koh Tao Diving - Pearl Diving School Thailand

I like them, i have nothing to say about the other shops, but Pearl is a small shop with good familiar feeling. Good location in Maa head, close to the boats, nice equipment.

They use Dive Point's boats.
Usualy the big boat do 2 morning dives (deep), 2 afternoon dives (shallow) and one night dive.
On monday and friday the small boat goes to sail rock in the afternoon for 2 dives and does a night dive by shark island on the way back.

I think that there are many boats that looks rely shabby on Tao, but DivePoint have nice boats.

No resort or anything, just a small divecentre.

Last edited:
Wouldn't describe Roctopus as small... they have an office near the pier at Mae Haad plus the dive shop itself in Sairee, at the Wind Beach Resort, and they run two boats out of the Mae Haad pier - maybe they used to be smaller and have grown recently?

@Barmaglot my apologies, sounds like they have grown quite a bit since I worked with them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom