OW Certified....Now What?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you have a backup when diving solo, 2air?

What is right for me isn't necessarily right for anyone else. Here's what I do, at this point.

When I dive over a hard bottom that is less than 30' deep, with a rig I know I can swim up in the event of a BC rupture, with benign surface conditions, I don't use a redundant air source.

When I dive with a buddy, instructor, or divemaster who I trust, in good visibility, where bringing a redundant air source poses an unreasonable logistical burden, I don't use a redundant air source. This characterizes many of my tropical dives.

Otherwise, I bring a redundant air source. It can be either a twinset or a pony cylinder.

You shouldn't really even think about solo diving until you've got a lot more experience.
Yes, thank you I'm aware. I value you my life a great deal more than you do. :wink: I know people DO dive solo and I was just curious about different opinions and techniques.

Reading that comment again, it does sound like I'm thinking about solo diving. I assure you I am not.

You shouldn't really even think about solo diving until you've got a lot more experience. SDI, for example, requires 100 logged dives and Advanced as prerequisites for solo. PADI requires same (I just looked it up).
Agree. I didn't dive solo until after 75 dives. Still do that mostly today, but rarely below 30'. Many experienced divers dive solo without the certification -- personally I don't do that deep--just my own comfort level. If I were to dive deep solo, I'd definitely take a course.

Join divebuddy.com. It was founded by a guy from Texas for just this thing. I'm in NC and have met and dove with several divers from my area and occasionally from someone coming from out of state looking for someone here to dive with. You can search for people close by to you. There are probably more than you think.

I don't know about your area but LDS in my area have fun dives on weekends that give you the opportunity to get out diving. I do that and joined a local dive club to meet experienced divers to dive with. For my area there are a couple of Facebook groups that cater to all experience levels and are a good place to meet other divers.

You might look at CHUM club while it is a Houston centered club you could probably get in some dives with them and also don't ignore Copelands even though you started with AScuba Ventures in a small town like Courpus you need all the exposure you can get. I would also drive over to Port A THere used to be a shop on the island that did a good job of sending people offshore.

Book a dive vacation and get in the water! Get paired up at a dive resort with someone else also there as a solo. Sign up through your LDS and get in on a group trip.

You're awareness of your known shortcomings seem to be pretty solid - you are to be commended for recognizing that you're not ready quite yet BUT you at least know some of what you'll need for solo. I went solo quite a few times blissfully unaware of how badly I was unprepared for any off-nominal situation. Yes, buoyancy and trim are of 1st order and should be worked on every dive. Learn some alternate finning techniques and of course get lots of diving in. Seeing what good diving looks like helped me considerably. View some of the DIR/GUE videos - the techniques and gear configuration may not be for you but the reasons behind why things are done a certain way is hard to argue. SB is a great place to learn so you're well on your way. and do the trips they offer - hard to beat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom