OW Cert next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wild07

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! My wife, my folks and I will be in Key West next week, and are planning on completing our OW certs while we're there. Can anyone make a recommendation, preferably with experience, on shops to use? We're completing our PADI certs, and I've been keeping up with Southpoint Divers, as they're close to where we stay, but am always open to hearing what others have to say about local shops.

Thanks!!!

I can't recommend any shops as it is not my area.

What I can do is recommend Jim Lapenta's boo, "SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New diver". Can be found places like here: https://www.amazon.com/SCUBA-Practi...&qid=1488240590&sr=8-2&keywords=james+lapenta

The more you know about what you should be learning, the better off you will be. It is one of the books I recommend to new divers and instructors a like. It has impacted how I teach open water classes.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Welcome! I also can't recommend any shop in KW, but suggest that you call and talk to some people. It's really not about the shop, but about the instructor. They should be asking questions about you, your comfort and what you want out of it, as a minimum. You can get certified, but you might also really learn to dive -- I suspect you want the latter since you posted here. Agree with Kosta on reading up on some of Jim L's thoughts as he is always insightful.

I'll snatch up that book asap. My folks and my wife are looking at it mostly as just a rec. thing, but I'd like to get into some of the more technical parts of diving, like S&R, wreck diving, photography, etc. Not necessarily as a profession, but something new to learn and augment skills from other parts of life. We get in to KW this friday, so I'll likely spend a day hitting the shops close to our place, then see who we're comfortable with.

Thanks guys!

but I'd like to get into some of the more technical parts of diving, like S&R, wreck diving, photography, etc.
That's still recreational diving. Technical diving is something much more involved

I get that it's still considered Rec. diving, but it they all require a different or additional set of skills that are more 'technical', no?

I'd certainly like to get into technical diving, ice, wreck, repair, DEEP, etc.

I get that it's still considered Rec. diving, but it they all require a different or additional set of skills that are more 'technical', no?

I'd certainly like to get into technical diving, ice, wreck, repair, DEEP, etc.
No

Tech diving has a very specific meaning. The examples you gave all fall under the Rec category. While you are 'technically' correct that those specialties are more technical they don't fall under the definition of technical diving.

Well, good to know. Wont make that mistake again.

Well, good to know. Wont make that mistake again.
Just so you know Tech diving usually includes one or more of the following: decompression diving, diving deeper than 130 feet, overhead environments (cave, penetration), mixed gasses with o2 > 40% and/or other gas blends or closed circuit re-breathers.

And now you know :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom