OW Cert at Windy Point this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got back from my OW cert dives this weekend at Windy Point. Holy crap. I have read about limited vis around the forums and from the northern cold-water divers, and with no previous experience didn't think much of it. Which also happened with water temps, 75F sounded pretty warm until I jumped in it sans wetsuit. I also now understand the problems people have with buoyancy, I was like a basketball bouncing along the rocks the entire weekend.

Our first dive was Saturday afternoon around 1 and when I held my hand out in front of me I could see the silhouette of my hand, but not that it was a hand or a coke bottle. I think we were at Platform 4 for that skills dive. The second dive was a follow the leader fun dive from Platform 1 to Large Sailboat 1 and from there to around 45 and back up. I was surprised by how obvious the thermocline was, went from comfortable in my 3/2 to pretty chilly in a fin kick or two. When we came up I had to ask where we went, I had absolutely no orientation after we left the chain.

Sunday morning the vis was noticeable better at 5 to 6 feet once we got under 20' The platforms were packed that morning, so our dive con moved our bouy to the large sailboat 1 and we ran our skills there. The fun dive that day was out to the shark, around the deep for awhile and back to platform 6 where some of the group opened up their cans of sausages to feed the fish with. I was surprised at how fearless the perch and smaller cats were, it was neat seeing something besides the divers living in the water, not much of that in the pool.

All the people I meet there were cool too, Richard the park guy came and sat down with us and talked with everyone while, and the few divers I walked up to from other camps to ask a question about gear I saw or something were all completely cool people.

I'm certified now, the weekend was awesome, and I can't wait to improve my skills so I can focus on something other than the yellow of the nitrox sticker on the tank in front of me. I have already enrolled in a navigation course in hopes to not be completely dependent on a leader next time.

*By the way, I'm guessing on the locations based on current depth from the windy point website, I really couldn't tell where the hell I was.

Congrats.. its a sickness and it spreads quickly..

We are soo hooked, all of our kids now are certified (ages 10,11 and 15) and we just bought the Scuba Truck (2003 Suburban just for our scuba purposes)..

Read everything you can.. Leisurepro.com and scubatoys.com will often come in handy!

if you find any good places around corpus to dive, let us know. The wife is from there and we have to visit her father soon.. So I know if we have a place to dive, it will make the trek more enjoyable.

Also.. Get to Cozumel as fast as you can. The world will never look the same.

We have been spoiled for good since we went and go back about 2 times a year now.

I wouldn't trust the maps online much since a) the water is down, so the depths are off (you need to remember to subtract 30 from the listed depths) AND b) stuff moves out there. The manitee is gone, the SCUBA Diver moves around plenty, and a lot of the stuff around 30-40 feet has gotten moved due to the low water. There's a "new" platform under two now (the platform was formerly 6, but is now located there for a decent platform when the rest dry up). Be safe out there, and remember, having a NAV cert is not a good replacement for a dive buddy.

Come out for a dive aboard Giant Stride to get an opportunity to dive sites not accessible from shore. You will learn boat diving skills along with diving some cool walls and the wrecks at Wreck Alley. We go out for Sunset charters on Wednesday and two charters on Saturday and Sunday. All charters depart from Windy Point Park, a shuttle takes you to the boat eliminating the climb up/down the stairs. Many have posted on this board so you can read about their experiences with the dive operation.

Dive safe and often,

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Come out for a dive aboard Giant Stride to get an opportunity to dive sites not accessible from shore. You will learn boat diving skills along with diving some cool walls and the wrecks at Wreck Alley. We go out for Sunset charters on Wednesday and two charters on Saturday and Sunday.

It's absolutely on my to-do list. I recognized the Giant Stride passing the dive park once or twice on Saturday. Is the small blue building right at the entrance to windy point the office building? I stopped by Sunday afternoon but noticed there was a sign on the side door saying the building was closed.

The blue building is not our office, just the parking area for our dive guests. The shuttle meets you at the paved parking area next to the blue building to take you to the boat. While the boat is out, the shuttle is available at Windy Point to take you and your gear from the car to your setup site and back instead of using the hand carts.

If you are shore diving at Windy Point, you can check with the shuttle operator about available charter space if you didn't reserve a spot in advance.

Welcome to the Texas Swamp Divers. Viz is over-rated. You'll get used to it and actually start enjoying it. Makes the Caribbean really impressive when you get down there.

Welcome to the addiction, deadly risk..
Yeah, the viz at Travis, especially at the shallower depths, leaves a little to be desired, but you will really appreciate the Caribbean or Gulf once you get there.

I've been diving with Robert (Giant Stride) a few times now and it is the best $25 you could spend to go diving on Travis.. Windy point is over 2 1/2 hours each way for me from College Station but it is worth it just for the one Wednesday night dive I've gone with him on. I'm hoping to make it out for Saturday diving this week or next.

See you at the bottom!
David

Deadly,
Welcome to the Swamp! Yes! You now understand what the rest of us are talking about! I will second everything said here!

Great visibility is overrated -- credit to timeliner.
Visibility almost always sucks. We get excited if vis' gets beyond 5 ft -- timeliner excepted.

Learning how to dive in the swamp WILL MAKE you an overall better diver. It just will. . .
Learning navigation is an important skill. It is not a replacement for a good dive buddy.

Find two or three good dive buddies who are at the same skill level as you. The group of you should make a friendly pact and come up through the ranks/experience together. It will absolutely make the whole diving experience an absoulute blast for all of you. I have my most favoritest (word? grammar?) dive buddies ever. We always have a blast together -- even when we get into trouble. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom