OW cert and boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since PADI hasn't started the Gravity specialty (for falling off the boat into the water), you don't need any other certt. The boat speciality is real, it's requirement was humor (funny too :D).

MoonWrasse:
Yes you'll need the PADI boat diving speciality C-card, along with the sausage usage specialty.

I'd also suggest taking the DAN seasickness course :D

This is the diving that I do. You do NOT need any special cert to do most of the dives on the reefs and wrecks to about 80ft.

If the sea is too rough, the dive would be cancelled. Remember, SE Florida is the largest resort area in the world. The boats make their living catering to tourists.

Tell the DM that you are new to boat and drift diving and listen to what you are told.

Water entry is a giant stride off the stern of the boat and you climb a ladder to return. On a drift dive you are put in the water up-current. Each group has a dive flag. Get to your depth and let the current push you along. When you surface, the boat will come and pick you up. On a wreck, the DM ties a line to the wreck. You'll enter the water, swim to the float, and follow the line down to the wreck. Ascend using the line, do your safety stop while holding on, and surface. Swim to the boat and climb aboard.

My favorite wreck is the Sea Emperor. Seventy feet and a LOT to see.

The DMs work for tips.

Parrot Island is very good, and so is The Diversity (www.thediversity.com).

Have a good time!

Back
Top Bottom