Overnight in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LisaTee

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm headed to Dominica in November and have an overnight layover in Puerto Rico on both ends.
We get there at about 3 pm and don't leave until 12:45 the following day. On our departure, we get into PR at about 5 pm and back out the next morning at 10. Obviously no time to dive or explore extensively, but would like to enjoy our limited time there and not just sit in a hotel next to the airport. I'm thinking Old San Juan but don't know how feasible that may be. (I've flown thru PR seems like a million times but never had more than a 2-3 hour layover).
Anyone have any good recommendations on somewhere good to stay and can't miss things to do with these time constraints? Thanks.

Lisa, happy to give you a few suggestions. First thing is where to stay, the best area would be in Isla Verde, this hotel strip is next to the airport and host to many fine restaurants, shops (mainly turist traps) and things to do. A few Hotel suggestions that are good for one-nighters are:
The Courtyard
The Hampton Inn
Continental Hotel
OSJ is the obvious place to go when you arrive...spend the remainder of the afternoon in the old city and then stay for dinner and drinks in one of the many restaurants and bars in Fortaleza St. You'll be heading out the next day at noon, so you better just relax at your hotel or walk around the Isla Verde area until you head out.
When you get back from Dominica, you might as well shower-up and grab dinner at any restaurant in Isla Verde, so you can rest-up for you flight back the following day.
Puerto Rico is actually very well know for its culinary variety...here's a few good restaurant that I like:
Dragonfly (latin-asian) in OSJ
Parrot Club (nouvo-latin) in OSJ
Tantra (Indo-latino) in OSJ
Sofia's (Italian) in OSJ
BarraChina (nouvo-latin) in Isla Verde and OSJ
Ruth Chris (steak) in Isla Verde
Wasabe (Sushi) in Condado
Fontana D'Roma (Italina) in Isla Verde
Che's (Argentinian) in Isla Verde
Steak and Co. (argentinian) in Isla Verde
...wow there are just so many more I can mention...but let's leave it there...
It a short stay, but these two night will give you an idea of the island's city life and might entice you to come back some other time. Enjoy!

If you can, you should check out the beaches of Pinones - very near the airport. Places to eat and drink right on the beach. I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Isla Verde and was very pleased with my room and the hotel restaurant. A friend took me to Soleil at Pinones for a really good lunch - we were the only ones there - it's a major hot spot for night time younger adult crowd.

Fort Murro or whatever its called is impressive

the stone gun turrets and stuff...I might have the name wrong. Nice photo op!

I think I would taxi though, those drivers intimidated me. I was in a car with some FBI agents and they had a bullet riddled SUV, so maybe that just put me in paranoid mood.....

I have to second fjsala's recomendation for Drangonfly in Old San Juan. We were just on the island a few weeks ago and satyed on the west coast. We took a break from diving (not by choice! but because our dive op couldn't confirm until last minute) and drove to El Yunque and Old San Juan. We happened to find Dragonfly restaurant by pure chance. It was amazing!!! Later I got back and told my PR frineds where we had gone and tha responses were all the same: "OMG, that's my favorite place! " They have a dress code, FYI. Mostly it's no shorts or jeans. But the food is well worth it!

The Morro is a great place to see and go walk around. They view from there is gorgeous and many places to take great topside pics. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom