overfilled tank capacity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
Otherwise known as 'cave country'.

:D

In cave country, your turn pressure is stamped on the tank!

teknitroxdiver:
The tank size of an LP steel tank is stated at it's +10% pressure, that is 2640 psi.

yep

dannobee:
the rated capacity is with the tank's "+" rating, or at 2640 psi. Only holds 77 cu ft at 2400 psi.

yep

all4scuba05:
So its basically a low pressure 77 cf tank that can be overfilled to give you 85cf.

maybe ...

my LP 85's are actually LP 82.7's at 2640

:wink:

If you find a good hydro station they can continue to stamp the “+” for the 10% overfill. The procedure is described in the Code of Federal Regulation 49 (CFR49), section 173.

Luis H:
If you find a good hydro station they can continue to stamp the “+” for the 10% overfill. The procedure is described in the Code of Federal Regulation 49 (CFR49), section 173.

True. And find a shop/filler who asks you what pressure you want in them. :eyebrow:

Few things piss me off more than getting an LP tank back with not only the "+" rating ignored, but the tank short filled at the standard pressure. Someone's gonna get a tongue lashing.

ok, then it looks like I'll be looking for LP85's

all4scuba05:
I'm hoping I'm wrong but I've gotten the impression that an overfilled Worthington LP85 has 85 cf of air. I thought it's 85cf BEFORE the overfill?
There are all kind of tables in various books that will tell you the charactaristics of virtually every tank made. Included is the actual amount of air in cf that tank holds at a specified pressure and temperature(usually room temp or right around 70 F)

I take exeption that it is deceptive. The cylinders is rated at 2400 +10%. This is not a deception but fact. Cylinders have been rated this way for as long as I remember.

One company used Vander Wal equations to give a higher cf rating to their cylinders when everyone else uses ideal gas laws. No one complained about that and accepted it as fact. What we need to to do is have a standard that we all agree to.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Not being aware of facts is not the same as deception. Fortunately, the poster has been made aware of the facts. It is somewhat unfortunate that the tanks does not meet it's rated spec unless it has the plus rating. I can see where that would be confusing for someone unfamiliar with tanks in general.

If you want 'deception', think about this: That Aluminum 80? That's not an 80, its really an AL 77.4........*cue twilight zone music*

Back
Top Bottom