over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In assisting a panic diver, the approach might entail:

1. Diving underneath the individual - ideally on SCUBA - staying well clear of their flailing legs and arms
2. Coming up behind them -taking firm hold and control of their tank by the valve
3. Leveraging the tank horizontal - lifting them out of the water.
4. Inflating their BC to secure lift.
5. Asserting you have control - firmly, confidently, calmly - they are safe - asking them to "Stop flailing, Think..."

At least it's worked once....

piikki:
Did I miss it...? Did she die because she aspirated water and drowned or did she panic so bad she had a heart attack before she had time to drown?

We haven't heard.

piikki:
Panic is a mighty opponent, and I think I have really considered that in situation like this, when it becomes a question of life and death - is there any way I can "safely" knock someone out to be able to help

LOL... a friend of mine had this reply to his OW instructor when he asked what you should do near a panicked diver at the surface: "Punch him in the face as hard as you can!!"

Knocking the paniced person out could actually be a viable option.. Provided you are able to get that kinda force when youre in the water.
And also to remember, punching someone with that ammount of force can inflict permanent injury or death...

Dragging them out of the water with them concious would ofc be the better option.
For the record, yes, I have sat on paniced people and even hit them quite hard as a last resort. Atleast it diverts their attention..

Tigerman:
Knocking the paniced person out could actually be a viable option.. Provided you are able to get that kinda force when youre in the water.

There's no reason to hurt a panicing diver in any manner. Just come up from underneath or behind them, inflate their BC, ditch their weights, and wait for them to get tired. If the BC doesn't float them face up, you can grab the tank valve from behind and float them face up.

Real panic takes a ton of energy to maintain, and as long as they're on the surface and breathing, they'll be fine, and you can just wait for them to stop.

Terry

Web Monkey:
There's no reason to hurt a panicing diver in any manner. Just come up from underneath or behind them, inflate their BC, ditch their weights, and wait for them to get tired. If the BC doesn't float them face up, you can grab the tank valve from behind and float them face up.

Real panic takes a ton of energy to maintain, and as long as they're on the surface and breathing, they'll be fine, and you can just wait for them to stop.

Terry
You tell that to the people whom this thread was originally about..

In my experience what a panicked diver (at the surface) wants is to be up and out of the water. I remember once motoring about in a Zodiac and seeing a diver trying to climb out of the water on the anchor line of a boat that was moored in the area. She was in a complete state of panic and all she wanted to do was to pull herself up and out of the water, which of course she could not do. I came alongside and was able to get an arm under her two arms and I tried to pull here into the inflatable. I could not break her grip and I was unable to get her into my boat until she was sufficiently exhausted to have to let go of the anchor line.

Tigerman:
You tell that to the people whom this thread was originally about..

Panicing on the surface, with an inflated BC and head well above water is not fatal.

Breathing water can be, as can panic coupled with various medical conditions, however panic itself is not fatal.

Terry

Now we are getting somewhere, this is useful. I've seen it done really well, I don't think I've ever practiced it since Rescue. Might be worth drilling, thanks for the reminder Terry. I am all about staying clear of strong chaotic paniced divers at depth but everyone should be able to do this at the surface...I am not confident I could without practice.

catherine96821:
Now we are getting somewhere, this is useful. I've seen it done really well, I don't think I've ever practiced it since Rescue. Might be worth drilling, thanks for the reminder Terry. I am all about staying clear of strong chaotic paniced divers at depth but everyone should be able to do this at the surface...I am not confident I could without practice.
But of it fails and I cant kick the person away and start to get pulled down, rest assured, I WILL go to that last resort..
Did you see "The Guardian"? Love that elbow and know it works :eyebrow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom