• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

oval mask question

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by Scotttyd, May 28, 2010.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Loggerhead Turtle

I have a pair of blue Oceanways Professional fins with "Made in USA" embossed on the underside of the blade. I believe they were manufactured, like Scubapro fins, at the Pacific Mouldings plant in Corona, CA. I assumed, I know now wrongly, that Oceanways would have their masks made there too. Still, I would imagine that the masks were made in China to Oceanways' specifications for the American market, in the same way as IPods are made there to Apple's specifications.

2. adriano210

adriano210 Angel Fish

i use to have an old Russian military mask made with black rubber, it was one off the best ever piece of Russian design i ever had, no problem with equalization at all, no problem with seal. it has a stainless steal band with screw around the windscreen, but after 5 years (and another 30 in service) rubber brake, so now im using a apeks mask as the oval mask in shops now use to have a size for kids - i don't need a toy mask,

3. knowone

knowone Regular of the Pub

Carn the Pies.

4. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I began diving with an oval mask made by Voit or Healthways and was thrilled when they came out with the Pinocchio. I thought the molded nose piece was much easier to equalize than shoving the oval mask up against my nose plus I got better side vision. It always seemed like the oval mask was leaking and the Pinocchio never leaked. But, when I made a fairly deep free dive (around 80 feet) with the Pinocchio it nearly sucked my eyes out and I had no air left in my lungs to equalize the mask. After a lot of consideration I bought a Cressi low-volume mask and have used it ever since (30 years, perhaps). I had to sacrifice some peripheral vision for the low air volume but I don't want to have to carry seperate masks for scuba and free diving. As for now, the only reason I personally would use an oval mask would be for a Sea Hunt costume. Perhaps some oval masks are/were better than others and I'm sure I had the cheapest one but I've never looked back.

5. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

JamesNon92007, it appears that most of the world market agrees with you, but I still miss the Voit 50 Fathom.

Attached Files:

6. oldmossback

oldmossback Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I have a Oceanway's pacific mask, in very lite green silicone......had 3, now two...........I ran thru the styles in the last 43 years, first was Cressi round, I still have but it's too old now for diving, then I aquired a Vido, ugly thing but I needed corrective lens and this provided me this.......ever thought about diving with bionoculars? That is what it was like.........then in Okinawa I ordered a Deluxe Pinocchio with 72mm corrective lens from Leanard Maggorie in NY and dove that until the late 70's when I tried the Tekna trivue..........at that time I was diving with soft contact lens.....much much better for my viewing pleasure..........still the nose frame was a pig and bothered me until I found the Oceanways at one of the LDS's here in Fort Worth........that was in the mid eighties.....for me was like a plate glass window to the sea......been diving with nothing else since..........except occasionally I use the Pinocchio for fun some times..........

But now diving with just one eye, I need the clear straight forward vision of a oval.......

Oh, the secret of using a round or oval I was told many many years ago was the same that of fighter pilots, turn your head like a screw and look..........

7. Scuba.com

Scuba.com Dive Shop

8. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

That mask is designed for Asian faces and is too shallow for most people of Euro descent.

N

9. Paladin

Paladin Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I have two of those masks in black rubber and they work fine for me.

10. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

For me my nose is plastered against the glass. N