Ouvea Fiji and Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getwet

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a diving freak looking to get in touch with people living in Ouvea, Thailand and Fiji? Need some advices and tips on those places.

Thanks,

I was in Thailand last year Jan 15 - Feb 3. We went diving in Phuket and Koh Sumui. Phuket is a cool place with lots of things to do - one negative is that most of the hotels are not right on the beach (just a short walk). A day dive is an all day experience, you take a shuttle bus for 45 min to the main dock. You wait a bit before hoping on a LARGE slow cattle boat. You leave your hotel at 8 am and get back around 6:30. The diving was nice but vis was poor. Note that all the dive shops use the same boats - so walk off the strip to find a dive shop with the best prices (we paid $35 for 2 tank dives).

Koh Sumui is a fun little island - my favorite. You can get nice small huts right on the beach cheap. Little tuk tuk buses can take you anywhere. Koh Sumui also involved long boat trips - if you do go, ask to do Champun Pinicle. Unfortunaltly the vis was not too good on Koh Sumui when we were there.

When I go back to Thailand I will do a liveaboard to the Similan Islands (you take a car north of Phuket to the boats). The diving here is the best.

Make sure you dive Richielieu Rock
It is a pinnacle that rises up and crests the surface - you can find lots there from dense small stuff to Giant Mantas (after Jan) and Whale Sharks

I've been on several Liveaboards; including Similan Islands and all the way up to Burma on a 10 day trip - Richielieu is tops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom