Outline of FAQ for Regs - feedback requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munitor

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm giving SkullDeformity a hand with FAQs and am pulling one together to cover Regulators (including hoses, connectors and SPGs). I've come up with a list of the topics and would like to get some suggestions for additions/changes before I start writing. I'll be in Bonaire for a couple of weeks so will have a chance to work on it then.

Thanks!

What is the purpose of a regulator?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

What is a regulator &#8220;stage&#8221;?<o:p></o:p>

How are regulators configured?<o:p></o:p>

How does a regulator work?<o:p></o:p>

What's the difference between DIN and yoke connectors?

Can I convert a regulator to and from DIN or yoke connection?

What is the difference between &#8220;diaphragm&#8221; and &#8220;piston&#8221; first stages?<o:p></o:p>

What is the difference between an &#8220;upstream&#8221; and &#8220;downstream&#8221; regulator?<o:p></o:p>

What is the difference between a &#8220;balanced&#8221;, &#8220;unbalanced&#8221; and &#8220;overbalanced&#8221; regulator?

Why do some 2nd stage regulators have adjustment knobs and/or levers?

When do I need a "cold water" service regulator?

What is an &#8220;environmentally sealed&#8221; regulator?<o:p></o:p>

Why do some 2nd stage regulators have the exhaust on the side?<o:p></o:p>

Why do Sherwood 1st stage regulators make bubbles?<o:p></o:p>

Who manufactures regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What do I need to consider before buying regulators?<o:p></o:p>

Does the 2nd stage regulator need to be the same brand as the 1st stage?<o:p></o:p>

What are the advantanges and disadvantages of incorporating a 2nd stage regulator on the BC inflator hose?<o:p></o:p>

Why do some divers wear their backup 2nd stage on an elastic necklace?<o:p></o:p>

Why do some divers use a primary 2nd stage with a long hose?<o:p></o:p>

How often should regulators be serviced?<o:p></o:p>

Who should service a regulator?<o:p></o:p>

What about servicing a regulator myself?<o:p></o:p>

How should I store my regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What is &#8220;free flow&#8221; and how do I manage it?<o:p></o:p>

What pre-dive checks on regulators should be done?<o:p></o:p>

What about Nitrox specific regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What about Oxygen specific regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What about integrated regulators for ascent bottles (e.g. H2Odyessy EAS)?<o:p></o:p>

What post-dive maintenance should be done for regulators?<o:p></o:p>

How can regulators fail and what if I have a failure underwater?<o:p></o:p>

What about Titanium regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What is a &#8220;high performance&#8221; regulator?<o:p></o:p>

What standards apply to regulators?<o:p></o:p>

What can I do about an uncomfortable mouthpiece?<o:p></o:p>

What are the advantages and disadvantages of small regulators (e.g., &#8220;Micra&#8221:wink:?<o:p></o:p>

What are the sizes, connections and lengths of hoses?<o:p></o:p>

What about hose boots or protectors?<o:p></o:p>

What about swivels?<o:p></o:p>

What is with all these o-rings?<o:p></o:p>

What is so special about Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs)?<o:p></o:p>

what about:

Why do some regulators have knobs/levers?

or

What is/When does one need to get a "cold water regulator"

great start
Perhaps some coverage of manufacturer specific terms like Oceanic's DVT, and Aqua Lung's ACD, perhaps there are more addtional names for this and other unrelated features and if there's any real difference from one brand to another or just equivalancy. What good is it?

Warranty coverage, how do the major brands compare and is it worth factoring into your decision?

First I thot you guys were trying to replace discussion, now I'm wondering if you're trying to replace OW classes: What is the purpose of a regulator?

Munitor, I don't know your dive experience level - you didn't put any of that on your profile. I certainly do not feel qualified to write that article even with extensive secondary research; maybe you are? Could be an interesting article.

SkullDeformity, what percentage of ponies are Din in your world, anyway? Still curious about that? Might be more true in WA, as y'all do seem to do more Din there.

Well, you guys are ambitious; I admire that, and this could turn out to be a worthy project - but I certainly would not agree to making these articles into Closed To Discussion Stickies.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom